Tactical torches

Discussion in 'OTC and ACF' started by mentalist_match, Dec 30, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know where i can buy a tactical torch at a reasonable price. I have been looking on the net but can only seem to find one torch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Match

2. By tactical torch do you mean one with a red filter?

Try your local army surplus shop and get a Maglite 2AA with a red filter.

Talk to the more experienced guys in your outfit and find out where they get kit from.

3. Depends on your definition of tactical torch, mate. Some consider red light to be dimmer, but it is actually more visible from further away. The onloy advantage of red light is that it does not make as much of a pigs ear of your night vision. BUT you cant map read with it. Best bet is to get yourself a AA maglite (black one of course) and the rubber neck filter kit, so you can take the red lense on and off - so use the red lense in harbour areas (only if you REALLY need light of course) and when you need to stop on a patrol to map read use white light, shut your right (aiming) eye, and get others to group around you to shield the light from view.
    To be honest there is no such thing as a tactical torch, and almost all light will get you shot at. Your best bet is to have good recce, proper rehearsals, a good tactical model and (in harbour areas) not leave your kit everywhere. If you are worried about not being able to find your pit at night after coming off stag, rig up the green string hand rail at waist height and get yourself a trilux arrow from your local surplus store and clip it above your basha.
    Mag lites available from Blacks, along with the filter kit and rubber neck. I believe they do a forces discount, so have your MoD 90 handy.

4. Maglite is definately the way to go. Dont bother getting the packs with the filter holders and lanyard etc, if necessary just get a permanent red marker and colour in the clear filter.

A good quick surplus store is www.sofmilitary.com have a check in there, i think they give discount, other than that look in Millets or Blacks, they give a 10% discount for CCF, OTC and the like.

I also have a small torchlight on my smock zip, it shines a blue light and is useful in emergencies or if you are under good cover.

5. Cover lens with black nasty, make tiny pin prick hole enough to read maps by but not enough to be mistaken for a lighthouse in the desert.

I think this was covered a few months back and a submariner popped up and said ( :D ) that the subs had done away with red light in the hatch ways at night and just had a dimmer switch for the white light. (please insert commas and full stops where you feel neccesarym and feel free to correct the spelling)

SK

6. If you want the red light and are too cheap to buy a red filter, try the plastic off a baby bell wrapper, then just black and nasty that around the maglite.
    Personaly i prefer pinprick white light, but your section comander probably won't accept it, whatever you do, don't get one of those shite plastic right agled torches that weight a tonne and use D cells...

7. We still use them in tanks during the night and on stag. Still shines out like a bugger on a night sight though, as the KRH found out to their peril in BATUS this year!

8. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

9. Thanks, Cuts

ISTR that helicopter chaps dont like white light near their aircraft when their NVGs are fired up, but red is OK (if necessary)

10. The only way to read a map on patrol is the same as the only way to smoke on patrol. Get a 3 cell aa maglite (as used by NYPD as a cosh) and when you stop, tip everything out of your bergen and stick your head in it for a smoke and / or map check. Easy! As taught to me by the author of Soldier I who seems to have survived in one piece practicing this.

Dont be a slave to convention.
    ExT

(Actually the advice above is all good).

11. Blue light, less visable over distance... interesting fact. Good in OPs, still crap for map reading though.

12. Red light, no map contours.
    Green light, no wood features.
    Blue light, no water features.

As said before in this thread, masked white light is the way ahead.

They teach this at Brecon, and they're the experts apparently :)

Baggy

13. When i was a young cadet on dartmoor, I had a muppet of a navigator. He almost lead a section into a ravine because he was reading under red light. You shouldn't need light except for reading maps, and the pinprick method is ace. You can use a tiny single AA maglite, and have a 5mm slit in it. If u need extra light, just push slightly on the nasty until it sticks to the lens. It will temporarly open the slit further, then in about 30 secs it comes unstuck, closing the slight to a pinprick again.
    Never heard of the bergan method. It would be ******* funny if they came under contact while you had your head in a bag!

14. Agreed, not sure Id ever use that method, regardless of its origin :?
    Id forgotten about the pin prick (not usually entrusted with a map y'see - gives me ideas) and yes this works well also. On a different note, short of wandering around like Boris Karloff with your arms outstretched, harbour areas in pitch black forest - white light, red light, blue light, trilux marker arrows and string or just dont faakin' choose such a daft position...

15. The alternative is to get one of those elasticated bergen covers. Put bergen down, pull off cover, pull around head and shoulders, use masked white light inside.

I've even tried giving a set of orders that way; easier than having a poncho pulleddown over you.... Anyway, Recce Wing didn't ridicule it as a method, so it couldn't have been that crap an idea.

The benefit is that you can find your bergen instantly among many. The (big) disadvantage is that they aren't IRR, as far as I know