Tactical Recognition Flashes for AGC personnel

Discussion in 'AGC, RAPTC and SASC' started by outsider_1970, May 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone tell me why the Army wasted money producing TRFs for the AGC? I am especially amazed why they did it for ETS. Is there any chance of legions of combat teachers being mistaken for some other unit at the drop zone? I just don't get it and would appreciate an answer!

2. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Apart from my initial thought of "What a bone" question and now switching of my Wahdar!

Why not the ETS, we have different branches in the AGC and it is the best way way to tell us apart.

Legions of ETS on the DZ???????? Legions of anyone on a DZ!!

Has cadets kicked out early.

3. I thought the rank slide gave the game away. I suppose on ops people might wear a DPM rank slide which doesn't show what part of the AGC someone is in, but in that case why would you want a brightly coloured flash on your arm? The argument 'why not the ETS?' makes less sense to me than 'why the ETS?'

4. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

You don't get this TRF concept do you?

5. Not really, no! Why not wear your 50m swimming badge and your cycling proficiency as well. You already have a capbadge, stable belt, rank slide and goodness knows what else, I just can't see the point of a non-tactical part of the Army adorning itself with even more made up badges. Why not spend the money on something more useful?

6. B&T

Never was yr avatar so apt as on this thread, methinks.......!!!

Chas

7. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

PEBCAK

8. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Chasndave, this is what happens when you go out and leave the drinks cabinet unlocked.

Outsider. I am going to bite. Non tactical, would you like to explain that to a fellow SPS member, who got a MID in Afghan and yes he had a brightly coloured TRF.

9. I really hoped for an answer, someone took the time to design a TRF, get it made, paid for it, distributed it, and then tailors around the Army were detailed to sew them on, and I am genuinely wondering what all that effort was for. I'm sure everyone involved had better things to do surely. But never mind, maybe I will never know but I'll move on, honestly!

10. I was talking specifically ETS

11. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

So are you saying that we don't need TRF's?

12. No, I'm just searching for their purpose, particularly for an organisation like ETS who serve individually and already have cap badges, rank slides, belts etc to distinguish them. It just seems like a bit of a made up tradition to me but i am open to persuasion!

13. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Each Regiment, Corps has a cap badge, in the case of RRS (for example) their Regt is defined by the colour of the hackle, they have rank slides and belts.

I can't see where your going with this?

14. The real question that hasn't been answered is why do we need TRFs in the first place? I can understand them for sorting people out on a DZ, but on ops they're a gift to enemy int.

The correct answer is surely not to bother what the ETS wears (or doesn't wear - half of them sport SPS green berets) but to get rid of TRFs altogether. We didn't wear them in the Cold War and we shouldn't wear them now.