TACP Radio Fit - 603 FAC(RAF) 1982

Tatty0269

Clanker
Dear All,

Following on from My thread in the Military History and Militaria section regarding my FFR Landy, I was wondering is any one out there can shed some more light on the radios that would have been carried by the 603FAC (RAF) Landies between July 1981 and Nov 1982.

Information received suggests that it was 2 PRC344's and a PRC320, can anyone clarify this and give details on the setup.

Mant thanks

Tatty0269

Clanker
Thanks for the information, i am aware of the roles of the radios and the TACP's my question is about how the radios were set up in the vehicle.

I know they would all be clip in kits, but need to know what antennas were used with the 344's. Were they the roof mounted ground plane, or mounted on the vehicle side posts, was the "bob marely" used? Also how many DCCU'swere installed (I assume 1 per radio), etc.

I suspect each to there own. often the vehicle G/A antennae were cobbled together from aircraft kits. one DCCU maybe two if you could scrounge a spare. Never had a vehicle kit for 320
you have to remember TACPs were rare beasts and often bespoke to each Bde, that said they were also the training aid for the RAF Sqns so most of the work revolve around maintaining aircrew currency not tactical deployments

Thanks for the information, i am aware of the roles of the radios and the TACP's my question is about how the radios were set up in the vehicle.

I know they would all be clip in kits, but need to know what antennas were used with the 344's. Were they the roof mounted ground plane, or mounted on the vehicle side posts, was the "bob marely" used? Also how many DCCU'swere installed (I assume 1 per radio), etc.

We still had 344's in 2005, and I still use them in my current job now! The Ae would have primarily been a Donkey's Dick with a ground plain bolted on and would more than likely have been a dirty fit. The 344 would then have been clipped out to go mobile if needed. The Bob Marley would have been used if the Veh was static or bolted on to Bde Main as has already been said, but most Bde Main HQ had an Air Wagon with the 344s in, enabling the TACPs to do their job forward and leave the BALO to run the Bde Air picture.

Hope this helps

TB

Tatty0269

Clanker
Thanks TB, any information is of use as I am trying to build up a picture of what would be needed to revert my FFR back to how it was in 1982 when it was one of 2 vehicles with 19 Inf Bde and 603 TACP. 603 was deployed to the Falklands and information received suggests that one vehicle was embarked as it was missing from the Bde during this period.

The images below I have lifted from the 344 installation instructions, so I am guessing will be a clean install. How would a dirty fit be carried out?

antenna.jpg mounting plate.jpg setup.jpg

Thanks TB, any information is of use as I am trying to build up a picture of what would be needed to revert my FFR back to how it was in 1982 when it was one of 2 vehicles with 19 Inf Bde and 603 TACP. 603 was deployed to the Falklands and information received suggests that one vehicle was embarked as it was missing from the Bde during this period.

The images below I have lifted from the 344 installation instructions, so I am guessing will be a clean install. How would a dirty fit be carried out?

View attachment 172111 View attachment 172112 View attachment 172113

A dirty fit so to speak would be one that is not accredited but would work none the less, however you would remove it before RSIT etc! The dirty fit would also be more easy to install and follow than the approved solution, but would work as well all the same.

TB

Tatty0269

Clanker
Cheers TB, I have tracked down a roof mounting plate for the Landy as at least I have it in preparation for a fit in accordance with the pamphlets. As, from information received, the fits in TACP wagons were done according to the preferences of the personnel rather than the pamphlets I would be interested in any information on simple dirty fits that I could replicate in order to at least give an idea of how the wagon was configured while in use by 603 (RAF) FAC.
roof plate.JPG

On a more technical thought, the roof mounting plate/ground plane has two antenna locations, which I assume is to allow for 2 344's to be used within the wagon. From all the information I can find there does not seem to be a Tuning Unit for the 344 like there is for the HF or VHF sets so I am assuming that there is no problems operating the 344's with antennas in close proximity.

All I have to do now is track down the antennas, which on the surplus market seem quite rare, I guess as they are still in use.

Thanks for putting up with my questions.

What you have there is the ground plane from a 322 installation. The 250w output was too hazardous to leave on a side pot, so it went on the roof, along with the ground plane aspect.

I was at 244 Sig Sqn(AS) many moons ago, in the MAOT role. Our dets were 110 hardtop FFRs (some of the very first ones, 93 KE XX), so not the same as yours, but I echo the point re using aircraft antennas. We almost never used the Bobsters, it was aircraft fin antennas on the roof of the det, locally modded, or just the battle whip. The sets weren't clipped in either, just sat between the front seats.

I too wondered about the two holes. I can only assume it was for both 3/4 and 1/2t FFRs, though I can't recall seeing a SWB SIII FFR. But I'm not really old enough, there may have been some. But certainly, sod all to do with UHF sets, and all to do with HF amps.

Tatty0269

Clanker
Cheers guys the information is always appreciated.

Roadster.........

I have done a little digging through my collection of installation documents and have discovered that the ground plane is used on both the 322 and 344 installations in FFR's (both 1/2 and 3/4 ton). The forward hole in the plate is used for the 322 antenna setup and the rearward hole for the 344 omni-directional antenna.

Thanks again for all the information

Tatty0269

Clanker
Good afternoon all,

I thought I would see if there was any more information out there, so just re-posting.

Regards

Tatty, maybe send a message to an ex-TCW Facebook group called "Ex Wing Lads".

There are plenty of old and bold on there who might be able to help.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)[/URL]

Tatty0269

Clanker
Thanks for the information guys, it is always appreciated.