TACC 101 Cancelled

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Ex_Pompadour, Jun 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It has just been confirmed that the March TA Commissioning Course has been cancelled.

To avoid the usual questions and MSR's request for a reference, the notification from RMAS is copied in below.

In order to accommodate the new Regular PQO CC the Sandhurst training calendar has changed with effect from September of this year. Sadly TA courses have been in the firing line as the G7 staff in Ac HQ have juggled with the complex yearly training cycle. The effect for TA courses means TACC, TA PQO CC & TA TTT courses will have to reduce by one each per year. Dates for the revised TA courses are as follows.

2009 Autumn Term

TACC 093 (no change) will be delivered 05 -26 September.

TA TTT 093 due to be delivered 1-2 Oct is now cancelled.

TA PQO CC 093 due to be delivered 13-28 Nov is now cancelled.

2010 Spring Term

TA PQO CC 101 (new dates) will be delivered 08-23 January.

TA TTT 101 (new dates) will be delivered 16-17 January.

TACC 101 due to be delivered 13 Mar to 03 Apr is now cancelled.

2010 Summer Term

TA TTT 102 (no change) will be delivered 15-16 May.

TA PQO CC 102 (no change) will be delivered 25 June to 10 July.

TACC 102 (no change) is re-designated TACC 101 will be delivered 10-31 July.

2010 Autumn Term

TACC 103 (no change) is re-designated TACC 102 will be delivered 11 Sep - 2 Oct.*

TA TTT 103 due to be delivered 7-8 Oct is now cancelled.

TA PQO CC 103 due to be delivered 19 Nov to 04 Dec is now cancelled.

* date corrected

2. I heard it was on the books a while ago, not very helpful for units attempting to reach commissioning targets.

3. msr

msr LE

How many are even close?

4. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Until recently TA PQO's did not go to RMAS. I suppose one solution would be to revert to PQO doing an in house commissioning course.

Alternatively we could look at sending some of our TA Ocdts to commissioning courses in Canada or Australia.

5. msr

msr LE

Why? It seems we have trouble filling the existing course at Sandhurst.

6. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

In that case canceling courses won't be a problem - except of course it suggests that something else is rotten in the state of Stabland.

7. You may have a point... I've just been 'bumped off a RAAT task planned for Aug 09!

My TA Unit has been told that in future all RAAT tasks are to be filled by Reg Army Officers...

So the Army is not really stretched then? And four MTDs saved for the TA budget will make a significant contribution to balancing this years books!!

TZA

8. One problem with the current system is that it is too long and complex - A multi module course of which only 1 chunk is actually at RMAS, with "Briefing" and "Main Board" along the way. For a PO holding down a real civvy job it must be a nightmare, its hard enough to persuade students desperate for cash that they want to go through so many hurdles.

I'm all for ensuring that those with TA Commissions are of the same calibre as their Regular counterpart but I get the impression that the pendulum has now swung too far. There was a point in the 70s where OTC candidates with an CMT 2 pass ( basically a Pln level TEWT plus sig and mapreading) only sat a Brigade Board. That was the other side of the pendulum and a lot of people got though who would now fail ....but in the middle is there a happy medium ?

9. msr

msr LE

It would be instructive to see the actual vs target for Offr recruitment figures , as would a view of the number of Offr vacancies, but I expect they are too shocking to be publicly available.

Public debate is not encouraged: http://www.rusi.org/downloads/assets/Journal_Little.pdf

msr

10. Not really a surprise. From what I hear TACCs have been nowhere near capacity for ages and the numbers attending could easily be squeezed into two courses a year.

Of course, you could also take the view that having fewer courses makes it even more difficult and slower to become a TA officer and so the numbers will decrease even further.

11. Totally agree. I was speaking to a regular Lt Col at the weekend and he was surprised by the amount of jumping through hoops we have to do. We are making this too difficult for people and there is a danger of people losing interest. I've passed Westbury and am just about to do my Mod 1 in a condensed course (Summer Challenge) with a view to starting the mod 2 asap thereafter. However, I'll now have a huge gap until I actually get commissioned, despite my devoting 80% of my time to this. I'm fortunate that I'm in a position to do this re my work, many others would just have to walk away.
    Why can't TA PQO's undergo their training 90% with RTC's and then the final commissioning at RMAS like the rest of us? That would free up space to get more people through across the board. The pendulum needs to swing back a tad.

12. Its because of so many hurdles that I have given it a miss. I started doing TACC as a student in the OTC but as soon as I got into a serious job I realised I couldn't give up the time required. Three weeks off to go to RMAS after 9 days each for MOD 2 & 3 plus boards - not in my company. They don't mind giving me time off for TA but that would exceed my holiday entitlement and TA time off. I haven't done anything TAPO related since I left the UOTC so now all the modules and my RCB briefing is out of date.

So for now I'm going to stick to being a OR, its a bit more fun and if I want leadership opportunities I can always go down the NCO route.

13. RTCs knew about this a while back. The March course is notoriously undermanned and Sandhurst is re jigging to accommodate the regulars.

Still, it doesn't say much for the TAPO pipeline does it?!

Mind you, AOSB is jam packed anyway.

14. The last March course was tiny, but from what I understand this has been the case for a number of years. It does affect quite a number of people who will now have to re-do their Module 3, but given the band was bigger than the course this March, it is hardly a suprise!

15. msr

msr LE

Why? Is Mod3 time bound?

msr