Tac Battery

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by OP_ACK, Sep 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Excuse a question from a 'has been', but I keep coming across references to Tac Batteries. Can anyone explain what they are? I am assuming them to be Batteries made up exclusively from Tac Parties, but I am probably wrong.

Thanks in advance.

• Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 1
  2. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

These Batteries are the fourth Battery within a Gun Regiment. They are made up solely of a Battery Tac Gp ie BC's Party, FPC and 3 OPs.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Thanks Captain_Crusty It's all clear now!

4. Holy Thread revival.

Back in the Cold War when we had that rifle we had 3 TA OP Batteries, 266,269 & 307 of 12 OP parties each as well as the HAC

5. Which was just enough to provide the 3rd OP party in each regular battery, which was the OP bty role.

6. So they provide a BC party for each of the 3 gun btys, man the Regt FPC and an OP for each gun bty?

7. I understand we now can't even run with a 6 gun battery. It used to be that we had batteries each of 6 guns which went up to 8 gun on WE. Now we aspire to 6 gun as WE

• Like Like x 1
  8. The new brigade org has 5 manoeuvre units, each of which requires an RA Tac Group (OP/FO parties and BC's party). The revised RA fd regt comprises 3 gun btys, one precision fires bty, and a Tac bty (plus HQ bty). These 5 btys will provide 5 tac parties for 5 manoeuvre units.