Taboo subjects in Brit Culture that most Americans don't grasp?

Well he shure liked to travel: ISTR he spent barely a twelvemonth of his reign over England on English soil, so busy was he doing a Dubya in the Middle East.
Didn't even have the decency to bloody die or get buried here. Crossbow bolt in the neck, teach him to get greedy and grab some French land.

Well you know the best Brits are played by Americans.....

The worst Robin Hood ever. Followed quickly by Russell Crowe.
At least Costner had a decent Sheriff of Nottingham.
(Nobody does baddies like us Brits, Rickman being the epitome of the genre).

Well alas if I ever have to use a sword, just write me a one way ticket to destination fecked!

My inner mall ninja never developed a like for sharp long bladed objects!
Boy am I gonna get the urine taken.....

In the early 1980s I was in a Medieval Reenactment group. I learnt to fight with a 26inch double edged sword in one hand and a round shield in the other.
Some of the reenactments I took part in involved up to 1000 reenactors all swinging away with swords, battle axes spears etc.
I don't joke about this, I know, know one's going to get badly hurt, I've stood in a Shieldwall. In my last one, there was 120 of us with shields interlocked in three rows, being charged at by 200 warriors. All carrying shields, axes, swords and wearing chain mail.
You know it does make your arse nip up, when you see that lot running at you screaming their heads off. It does give you some sort of idea what standing in a Shieldwall was like. It must have been terrifying.

So in Wizard it would've been 'soccer', and if it was the Bash Street Kids, it woulda been 'footie'

What did Roy Of The Rovers call it?
Oo
So in Wizard it would've been 'soccer', and if it was the Bash Street Kids, it woulda been 'footie'

What did Roy Of The Rovers call it?
Oor Wullie called it "Fitba."
oor-wullie-meet-wullie.png

Boy am I gonna get the urine taken.....

In the early 1980s I was in a Medieval Reenactment group. I learnt to fight with a 26inch double edged sword in one hand and a round shield in the other.
Some of the reenactments I took part in involved up to 1000 reenactors all swinging away with swords, battle axes spears etc.
I don't joke about this, I know, know one's going to get badly hurt, I've stood in a Shieldwall. In my last one, there was 120 of us with shields interlocked in three rows, being charged at by 200 warriors. All carrying shields, axes, swords and wearing chain mail.
You know it does make your arse nip up, when you see that lot running at you screaming their heads off. It does give you some sort of idea what standing in a Shieldwall was like. It must have been terrifying.
You have just described British Army public order training all be it in our case those doing the attacking always seemed to be jocks minus the shields/axes/swords, breeze blocks seemed to be their favourite weapon of choice..

Statue went up in 1860, somewhat before US cinema was busy propagandising history into oblivion :) So I'm going with 'It Woz The Victorians Wot Dunnit', in the same way that Sir Walter Scott invented being Scottish.
....... together with their viewpoint of the noble savage and Danes suddenly sprouted winged helmets......

Well you know the best Brits are played by Americans.....

And thereby hangs a problem-. See Robin Hood is English- not British, the distinction being there were no British until 1707. However when they get it wrong everyone blames the English, because of course they speak it. When the Brits get it right, it's ABE.
Rather like the Chermans, the fact that the continentals speak English with a Cherman accent. No one Remembers Schiller Goethe, Beethoven in the same context as Hitler-WHO WAS A FLAMING AUSTRIAN. Who kidnapped Richard? The duke of Austria and then we had to pay a ransom for the bastard. Sod Blondin