Taboo subjects in Brit Culture that most Americans don't grasp?

Going back to post #1.

Jonesy, a lot of the old taboos on things to discuss (politics, religion, the weather, sex etc) have gone out the window.

Probably the last remaining taboo, and one which is an absolute no-no in any conversation, is the role of Keeper Of The Royal Privy.

These are few in number but they are the people who are entrusted with wiping the arses of the senior members of the Royal Family. As HM always wears white gloves she can hardly shake hands with foreign despots, kleptocrats and mass murderers with skidmarked gloves.
...............I always wondered.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Where you from? Everyone calls each other mate/love (if woman) round here
I'm from Britain mate - why ?

Scenes from life Part 19...me and @PANZER_SOLDAT driving a White Fleet Mitsubishi very slowly and calmly up to the VCP of Camp Bucca in Southern Eyerack to get some juice:

' I'll call him 'Mate' the Yanks love that...'
' uh-huh....will it stop him shooting ya think?'
' worth a go....ey oop mate, where's the POL point ? '

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Makes sense. No one south of Rotherham can talk proper.
Judging from the recent past, it seems that no one in Rotherham can talk, let alone proper.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
MiiiAOWW!

Non-football related but swerving dangerously back on topic.

Calling people you have never met ' Mate'...

occasionally I used to hear crustier even older folk say things like

' Mate? I'm not your mate...when you've bought me a pint you can call me mate..till then it's MISTER Smith'

Some Brits believe Americans love being called 'Mate'

Some Americans believe that if they address you as 'Mate' they will be your BFF instantly...it ain't necessarily so.

I hear 'Bud' a lot more than I used to
Bud is generally used for people you really don't know.
Brother is the equivalent of Mate but that is reserved for good friends.

I'm from Britain mate - why ?

Scenes from life Part 19...me and @PANZER_SOLDAT driving a White Fleet Mitsubishi very slowly and calmly up to the VCP of Camp Bucca in Southern Eyerack to get some juice:

' I'll call him 'Mate' the Yanks love that...'
' uh-huh....will it stop him shooting ya think?'
' worth a go....ey oop mate, where's the POL point ? '
Take your matey shit and shove it up your cunty ass, bud.

That's the re-booted 1980s Roy of the Rovers. I had in mind the Stanley Matthews/Bobby Charlton/Nobby Stiles* vintage.
--------

* Here's Nobby, in all his manly splendour:
Roy does seem to have Gay hair in the rebooted version.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Take your matey shit and shove it up your cunty ass, bud.
No, the gate guard was from Hickville, Atchafalaya County....I think the response was

' Say WHUT? Keep yo hands where ah can see 'em'

Not that much difference frankly. Bearing in mind who Bede says was here, Danes and Angles were already here, Viking’s were as much an admixture. People forget that. Daene Law was the peace that Alfred made. My home town also has a bit Dane history.
Don't forget us Saxons, we were her before the Danes. We Saxons and Angles, had this place sewn up till them 'BLOODY VIKINGS' turned up. Had them Celts just where we wanted 'em. Then up strolled them flaming Danes, sticking their collective nose's in. Never asked 'em to come over here, just rocked up, took over the N' rth 'o Brittannica. (Couldn't handle them Pic' s though.) Started up their Danlaw, who'd they think they are... Bloody Romans!!!