Taboo subjects in Brit Culture that most Americans don't grasp?

Bloody hell and thought I had it bad in Norway with the bootnecks!
It was probably worse for you! What we three did was stupid really. We voluntarily went out in the extreme cold to try and shoot some dogs in the middle of nowhere. To add to it we had a pretty dodgy drive to get to our location in the forest. I think we spent more time monitoring each other than hunting really.

You poor sods had to play until end ex!

@Grey_Mafia65 Speaking of American, I randomly watched this video about the norther most town in AK. Apparently it is a borough that is larger than the entire UK with less than 10k people. Made me think of you, since you were an Alaskan at one point.

Nice video.

During my time in AK, they were in the middle of building the Trans-Alaska Pipeline, a lot of my friends' fathers worked for oil companies and would spend weeks at a time up in Barrow. They never particularly recommended it as a holiday destination!

Regarding cold weather, I think I've felt colder in the UK than I ever did in Alaska. It was certainly a drier cold in AK, we used to have to run humidifiers in every room during the winter; skin and lips were constantly cracked and sore over the winter months, you hesitated before touching metal or another person because of the static shock you would get, but the upside was that the cold didn't seem seep into every bone the way that damp cold does. Plus of course everything was geared up to it. Houses were properly insulated with efficient heating and outdoor clothing was substance over style.

I never really travelled further than 50 miles outside of Anchorage, but my father had to go and spend a couple of weeks up in Fairbanks one winter, in temperatures of around -50F. He said that when people went shopping up there, they didn't bother switching off their car engines whilst they were in the store. He was glad to get back to tropical Anchorage, basking in -15F.

In the five years I lived there, the schools were only closed for a snow day once, after we got 5 feet of snow overnight.

As a kid, it was a magical place and I thank my lucky stars I got to experience living there.

Something that seems to shock a lot of Brits when I talk about living in Alaska - the majority of houses there were (and still are according to the lifestyle programmes I see on Quest and Travel channel) made of timber. The majority of the houses in Anchorage were so-called split-level houses, with the bottom floor partly set into the ground (the downstairs window sills were only about 6 inches above outside ground level). I believe this was to minimise earthquake damage to the building.

Last edited:
Anyone mention that we tend to disapprove of marrying our first cousins and producing the equivalent of Trump voters with them?
You mean apart from several members of the Royal family?

Regarding cold weather, I think I've felt colder in the UK than I ever did in Alaska. It was certainly a drier cold in AK, we used to have to run humidifiers in every room during the winter; skin and lips were constantly cracked and sore over the winter months, you hesitated before touching metal or another person because of the static shock you would get, but the upside was that the cold didn't seem seep into every bone the way that damp cold does.
Same EXACT experience for me as well. And that's why you usually use those anti-statics dryer sheets.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Cold was being silly enough to remove a glove while writing notes for a young vehicle commander and then using that hand to lean against the metal of his vehicle when being somewhat north of the Arctic Circle.

Took a long time for the skin to grow properly again.

Cold was being silly enough to remove a glove while writing notes for a young vehicle commander and then using that hand to lean against the metal of his vehicle when being somewhat north of the Arctic Circle.

That hurts. I bet you never did that again.

ugly

LE
I did realize I don't have an umbrella in our house. I think I would be crucified in the U.K. for that sin.
Gayer, they are awful items to own

ugly

LE

A kid I went to school with was watching the school ice hockey team practice and without thinking stuck his tongue out to lick the ice on the metal barrier he was leaning against.

Despite trying to heat the metal bar and various other ideas, in the end they just had to pull him away from it. The layer of tongue was left on the bar until the spring thaw as a warning to the rest of the school!