Taboo subjects in Brit Culture that most Americans don't grasp?

It is worth pointing out to a foreigner that most social questions are not real attempts to find information.

For example:
'How are you?'
'Fine thanks. You?'

Is great. Courtesies observed.

'How are you?'
'Don't ask. Things are dreadful. I' m barely sleeping what with my stress and the kids' behaviour '

Is very bad. People don't want to know. Be honest like that and people will stop asking. Just go through the' It was fine' type motions.

Normally we don’t give that that information out to strangers or acquaintances. Just place of employment.

Stereotypes can be useful at times, lord knows I Redneck it up often here just to see how you folks respond. But they are also the refuge for lazy.
The sad thing is red necks are as ******* prissy as the rest of you.

I use the **** test with spanks, if they roll with dropping the C bomb they are sound

Tea - milk in before or after boiling water (and tea itself)? It's genuinely very contentious. A person's opinion of another can change if they are seen to be the sort of heathen who puts milk in after water.

With anyone under 30 who is university 'educated' - don't discuss anything political at all. It's not worth it.
Two reasons.

Shits, and, giggles!

One understands that this is intended to be spoken, but just in case spelling defence correctly might be a help. As well as orgainiSe, coloUr, and another number of american abberations.

That said, avoid criticising the Royal family as that is our job.
Politics is a minefield, unless you are criticising Donald in which case weapons free.
Gun control unless you want to be offended, especially if you hail from Texas.
And never, never, NEVER talk about how american beer is better than the warm crap we drink. Otherwise you may be lucky enough to try out our National Health Service at first hand.

Have a good weekend.
Steam beer. Discuss steam beer.

I was thinking about the Non Squaddie crowd. You know the normal gentle people who don't appreciate the gallows humor.
You're on the wrong website mate......

To be honest in my experience brits are fairly bullet proof unoffendable.

Americans are a ******* nightmare to have any sort of humorous conversation with.
They don’t get ‘it’. Our (Brit) humour seems to go right over their heads. I’m in the US as I type. I had a little throw away conversation the other day with a woman in a supermarket after she asked how I was. My cynical, British answer may as well have been in Swahili. We’ve been coming here for over 10yrs & it was one of the first things that struck us.
Being constantly positive, as a lot of Americans are, is good, but it does become wearing after a while.
As for taboo subjects here (US)- Trump. He seems very divisive & rant inducing.

In the West of Scotland, "What school did you go too" is looked on as rude, as it really means "are you a hun or a tim"*

*Protestant or Catholic. Anything mentioning Saints, The sacred heart, etc. is a bit of a give away.
Back in the day------------probably still is!

Started as apprentice with another guy--- Prod based firm---- Foreman asked "Are you a left or right footer?"------me--- "Right" ( I understood)

Other lad--- (He was a Lefter--- But didn't click) "Left."----(He was also corrie fisted)

They kept me and feked him off to the sites.

He was a much better apprentice than I was.

I remember reading that Martin McGuinness was treated similarly.

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer
Good question. Some people claim to be able to tell whether water or milk went in first and getting it wrong is a quick way to upset them; I was asked this week never to make someone tea again unless I put milk in second...

Milk in first is the right way, btw.
If you put milk in the cup (not mug) before pouring the tea from the teapot, it shows that the cups you have are made from inferior porcelain as it cannot take the sudden heat from tea made with boiling water, whereas if the tea is pored first it shows your cups are superior and allows you to look down upon the poorer people.

However if you are making a brew in your favourite mug, the teabag still goes in first followed by boiling water then the milk so you can give it a slow stir and get it to the right strength. Add a couple of teaspoons of sugar and always use Yorkshire Gold tea for a better brew. Do that and you'll fit right in.

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer
It is worth pointing out to a foreigner that most social questions are not real attempts to find information.

For example:
'How are you?'
'Fine thanks. You?'

Is great. Courtesies observed.

'How are you?'
'Don't ask. Things are dreadful. I' m barely sleeping what with my stress and the kids' behaviour '

Is very bad. People don't want to know. Be honest like that and people will stop asking. Just go through the' It was fine' type motions.
Me and my mate avoid all that by simply saying;
"Standard greetings."
"Standard reply."

Cuts all that other crap out.

If you put milk in the cup (not mug) before pouring the tea from the teapot, it shows that the cups you have are made from inferior porcelain as it cannot take the sudden heat from tea made with boiling water, whereas if the tea is pored first it shows your cups are superior and allows you to look down upon the poorer people.

However if you are making a brew in your favourite mug, the teabag still goes in first followed by boiling water then the milk so you can give it a slow stir and get it to the right strength. Add a couple of teaspoons of sugar and always use Yorkshire Gold tea for a better brew. Do that and you'll fit right in.
I am starting to come under the impression you folks have over complicated the **** out of this process.

We compare
Trucks
Campers
Guns
Coolers
TV’s

However never judge a book by its cover.
That will bite you in the ass out here.

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer
I am starting to come under the impression you folks have over complicated the **** out of this process.

We compare
Trucks
Campers
Guns
Coolers
TV’s

However never judge a book by its cover.
That will bite you in the ass out here.
Never underestimate the power of a good brew. It can make everything seem......................okay.