Taboo subjects in Brit Culture that most Americans don't grasp?

A couple of dodgy subjects in the UK that come to mind are:

1. The pronunciation of the word 'Scone'. Some people pronounce it 's-cone' and other 'sc-on'. The 's-cone' people are, of course, very wrong indeed and you shouldn't talk to them
  2. The other is meal times/order. Whilst breakfast and supper are universal; dinner, lunch and tea timings can lead to great confusion depending on what part of the country you are in and what social class you are mixing with at the time
  3. Oh, and whereas the US has 'restrooms' and 'bathrooms' as a polite way of talking about toilets. We simply go along with toilet, pissers, shitters, outhouse, thunderbox, little boys/girls room and a raft of other local varients

Last edited:
So you actually ask them their affiliation?
It's a bit like the question on the US Visa applications
Did you seek to enter the United States to engage in export control violations, subversive or terrorist activities, or any other unlawful purpose? Are you a member or representative of a terrorist organization as currently designated by the U.S. Secretary of State? Have you ever participated in persecutions directed by the Nazi government or Germany; or have you ever participated in genocide?

Well, yes to three of them. Can I still come in?
Some dozy Brit bint ticked "yes" to the terrorist question a few months back & was all upset when it buggered up her family's flight plans.

1. The pronunciation of the word 'Scone. Some people pronounce it 's-cone' and other 'sc-on'. The 's-cone' people are, of course, very wrong indeed and you shouldn't talk to them
  2. The other is meal times/order. Whilst breakfast and supper are universal; dinner, lunch and tea timings can lead to great confusion depending on what part of the country you are in and what social class you are mixing with at the time
  3. Oh, and whereas the US has 'restrooms' and 'bathrooms' as a polite way of talking about toilets. We simply go along with toilet, pissers, shitters, outhouse, thunderbox, little boys/girls room and a raft of other local varients
They refer to the main course of the meal as the entrée too, the silly sods.

1. The pronunciation of the word 'Scone. Some people pronounce it 's-cone' and other 'sc-on'. The 's-cone' people are, of course, very wrong indeed and you shouldn't talk to them
1. It’s s-cone

2. It’s breakfast, dinner, tea, supper

3. I can’t argue with it’s bog here.

A suggestion for the yank, don’t talk about the wicked witch of Westminster. In the south praise her for stealing from the poor and giving to the rich, in the north curse her name for essentially destroying most of the jobs.

Milk first or last in tea? It can be academic, despite being crucial to a non-American.

Early one morning in late 1982, I was blearily inspecting the greasy components of what the RAF on Ascension Island laughingly called breakfast for those about to make the forthcoming and lengthy C130 airbridge flight to the Falklands.

Blearily, because I had taken the advice of a colleague ( possibly mistakenly) and stayed up overnight at the US-run Volcano Club in order to induce sleep on the Herc flight. A slightly-steaming urn provided an indeterminate warm (ish) drink, which an Army Air Corps bloke sampled.

“Bloody hell – is this tea or coffee?” he asked in disgust. Then added: “Hang on – I don’t drink coffee, it must be tea.”

What? Like you never had it?
Tiny bit of condensed milk if there's nothing else available and I'm freezing my tits off under a bush somewhere. I draw the line at evaporated milk. Do you still get Ideal Milk? Not seen it for a while, or Carnation.

Lot of stuff no longer on the shelves down here in deepest darkest. As grim as they are, I miss Fray Bentos pies slathered in tomato sauce.

I'm sure first game of the season(some time back, when Rangers were doing well) The Accies beat them.
Also the Supercallyfrag........ headline when Cally beat Celtic

Love the wee teams
Get in, Forres Mechanics!! :headbang:

Lot of stuff no longer on the shelves down here in deepest darkest. As grim as they are, I miss Fray Bentos pies slathered in tomato sauce.
If you really want a pie, you could ask on the Red Cross Parcel thread and I should think someone will oblige.
https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/red-cross-parcel-thread.288207/

Going the wrong way I think. Easier to meet up with someone heading down this way on hols, exchange pies for biltong and hard currency for Fokolis then point them at the nearest piss up spot for a nice sit down and cup of tea.

I may be somewhat adventurous with the truth when speaking of tea.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
Going the wrong way I think. Easier to meet up with someone heading down this way on hols, exchange pies for biltong and hard currency for Fokolis then point them at the nearest piss up spot for a nice sit down and cup of tea.

I may be somewhat adventurous with the truth when speaking of tea.
Ah! I hear Khartoum is wonderful this time of year... shall we say Thursday for tiffin?

If you're heading down south by Nile steamer you may want to wait until the boat runs aground then start walking. When you run out of crocodiles and start seeing BFO Carcharhinus and penguins turn around and go back about 700 miles.

I'll be the one wearing crocs and old rugger shorts.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
If you're heading down south by Nile steamer you may want to wait until the boat runs aground then start walking. When you run out of crocodiles and start seeing BFO Carcharhinus and penguins turn around and go back about 700 miles.

I'll be the one wearing crocs and old rugger shorts.
Might be easier to stick one in the post?

Could be, could be... *sucks teeth*

Tricky to reciprocate though. Not much from here that one could stick in the post that wouldn't give your customs and environmental blokes a fit of the vapours.