Taboo subjects in Brit Culture that most Americans don't grasp?

Well yes, in that adding an 'e' to Scotch still wouldn't make it proper (i.e. Irish) whiskey...
Make your mind up, won't you? It's either proper or it's Irish.

Is there anybody on here who remembers teapots? Ordinaryforces excepted! Tinfoil hat on! Keys to bus requested.
Still use one every time I make tea.

With loose leaves not bags.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'm not sure I agree. Certainly, it used to be that they sold shit goods at minimum prices, but I haven't been in one for years.

If they're trying it on with the big boys, and stepping up to the big league, they're going to struggle.
I tried Lidl when I retired. I now buy all but half a dozen items a week, that I've run out of, in Lidl.

Better quality in Lidl (or it would be half a dozen plus one) and nearly four years later, I'm still paying £30 a week less in Lidl now than JS then.

Anyone who is too bigoted to look deserves to stand on the street corner handing out fivers.

Four or five at least. Where are you getting your beans and sausages from?!
Those sausages do not count as meat on the Slimming World diet!!!! Avoid!!!

I tried Lidl when I retired. I now buy all but half a dozen items a week, that I've run out of, in Lidl.

Better quality in Lidl (or it would be half a dozen plus one) and nearly four years later, I'm still paying £30 a week less in Lidl now than JS then.

Anyone who is too bigoted to look deserves to stand on the street corner handing out fivers.
I didnt wait until I retired ... local shop has been open for twenty years now Lidl fresh rolls are ace, and they do a mean steak............

Chopped onion and chopped bacon, fried and the beans and sausages added to it to warm through, splash of chili sauce. The whole lot on toast with a fried egg on top. Pint of tea on the side with milk, no sugar and enjoy to the melodious background music of the outraged squeals of vegans and sensitive mods.
Wouldn't bother this vegan in the least.

Provided you're using soya milk.

Whatever order you put the milk in I’m sure we can all agree that you put cold milk in tea. Cold in tea, warm in coffee. Some places in the US haven’t got the hang of that yet.
Oh and as for condensed milk in tea, gopping stuff, sperm of Satan.
(Hat on. Dives in trench)

It could be fcukall to do with religion, it could just be down to football unless you count Scouse as being a religion as they tend to ask "Liverpool or Everton".
Also a Prod/Catlick divide, so I was informed by a lady whose son had been approached by scouts for one team until his need to go to Sunday Mass was discovered...

Whatever order you put the milk in I’m sure we can all agree that you put cold milk in tea. Cold in tea, warm in coffee. Some places in the US haven’t got the hang of that yet.
Oh and as for condensed milk in tea, gopping stuff, sperm of Satan.
(Hat on. Dives in trench)
Condensed milk was invented to make sandwiches with.

I recall two-thirds of what a US Major told us what he had been briefed on 'taboo subjects' by the US State Department prior to his secondment to 1 PARA:
  • Don't talk about NI, you don't understand it. Fair enough at the time.
  • Don't talk about Suez - the Brits are still humiliated by it. Say what?
  • Something else
He was an utterly useless twat - no reflection on US officers in general - and thankfully, and unsurprisingly, the US of A did not give him permission to deploy to NI
Humiliated? No, possible still seething with the betrayal though.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Besides I like the American ways of sorting each other out. By State of residence and political affiliation.
So Texas Democrats have a tough time then ?

I can imagine very well how such a conversation would go here:

LJ : ' Hi , what county are you from - and did you vote Labour at the last election ? '

Brit: ' Good morning...What an extraordinary question...um...well I was born in Montgomeryshire but the family moved Surrey when I was a lad,,,,,but of course I went to school in Shropshire, couldn't afford Charterhouse - and as to the last..well..um...I have to say it's actually , sort of ,none of your business I'm afraid,sorry......but do have a lovely day,the Beeb thinks we may get some rain later...cheerio'
< hurries off >