Taboo subjects in Brit Culture that most Americans don't grasp?

The Brits are fairly self-effacing. We are generally (militarily at least) very good at what we do. We tend not to blow our own trumpet. As a RN submariner, 'they' used to give us some VERY interesting jobs to do, especially ones the USN couldn't or wouldn't do. And we did do them and did them well. We knew not to talk openly about some of the stuff we got up to, but we called them 'sneakies' or that we 'went up north'.

So it boils my piss when on 'Social Media' sites, Elmer J Chickenshit III comments that he was a sub-mar-eener for 3 years, and posts THIS sh1t:

46174528_10217455580642885_4987888538960789504_n.jpg

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
The Brits are fairly self-effacing. We are generally (militarily at least) very good at what we do. We tend not to blow our own trumpet. As a RN submariner, 'they' used to give us some VERY interesting jobs to do, especially ones the USN couldn't or wouldn't do. And we did do them and did them well. We knew not to talk openly about some of the stuff we got up to, but we called them 'sneakies' or that we 'went up north'.

So it boils my piss when on 'Social Media' sites, Elmer J Chickenshit III comments that he was a sub-mar-eener for 3 years, and posts THIS sh1t:

View attachment 362241
All the power to you, living in a coffin for weeks on end would not be my cup of tea.
That being said I figured the RN and the US Navy were tied at the hip??

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
I will stay away from you. What does under 30 and university educated to a degree mean? Is your degree relevent?
Do you have a degree that is actually useful?
To a degree as in I dropped out in second year ;) have a certificate to prove it and anything.

Also chemistry

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Ever used an ATM? The software to install the messaging system (written upstairs), written by me near Winchester. The transaction processing system? Written in the next block, install mechanism written on the other side of my office.

Funny how these things break since I retired.

Think on that next time you draw cash.
Big Blue Walt

I've run the Hursley 10 K three times now - does that count ?

Is Brexit that much of a divisive issue?
dont talk about politics, at all or religion and your generally going to get along with anyone
I think (just based on what I read) that opposition to SJW is more common in the US (Kek, etc) than here. The SJW thing here seems more the norm and some views - 'aren't Jews awful because, like, Palestine' are socially acceptable and not much challenged. People are frequently no-platformed here for being what the US would regard as liberal.
I think you might be right, I was chatting to somebody I had just met the other day and she asked if I had a girlfriend....or a boyfriend?.

I thought, the rough percentage of gay people in the population is between 1% and 3%, so there is a 97% chance that I am not gay, why would you bother asking somebody a question like that with those odds?.

Mainstream british culture is generated by the media. If every single tv program has gay people and ¨people of colour¨ in it then eventually people start to think that there are more of them than there are and sort of over-accommodate them.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Mainstream British culture (in 2108 ) is generated by the media

yeah...bit like the Great, Great War 'Let's Remember (more) the Great Empire Sacrifice'

74,000 Indian troops died in WW1.

800,000 native Brits, those born and bred in these islands died.

[ Just sayin' ...I'll get my coat....]

LJ - if you ever come over on a visit you'll appreciate why Remembrance Day 11 Nov is a significant day for us.

Last week , Remembrance Day fell on a Sunday. It was also the 100th anniversary of the Armistice.

Just like every small town south of Vermont has a memorial to the US Civil War ( or Late Whoah of Nawthen Aggression depending wheah y'all from)
so in Britain you will find a small memorial to the dead of WW1 in practically every town and village in these crowded isles.

Only 30 villages in the UK had no casualties.

You want to avoid offence?

try not to piss on a War Memorial...or rip the flag off the Cenotaph in Whitehall.

PS - the paper red poppy, so beloved by Brits at this time of year? Was invented by a US Daughter of The Revolution...go figure :) ...

All the power to you, living in a coffin for weeks on end would not be my cup of tea.
That being said I figured the RN and the US Navy were tied at the hip??
Well, after several lovely weeks lazing around (on full subsistence - you're not allowed to live on the boat while alongside) working with the USN in San Diego, our Skipper knocked on the mess door and politely asked if we'd ensure that OUR guests were capable of walking off HIS submarine!

Did I mention that RN ships and submarines are not 'dry'? If you are ever invited to a social down a boat - just go!

When we arrived at San Diego, there was a full size ISO container waiting for us on the jetty. We told the Elmers it was the beer re-supply.
They didn't believe us.
Until the container was opened!

Anyway, back on track, to be friendly, just call everyone you meet a ******. Ooops the naughty word device didn't like that! It should of course say W anker!

But if you put the milk in first, you always know how much is in the cup and can therefore maintain the correct milk/water ratio. Do it your way and that ratio is all over the place.
Hopefully we can agree that a cup brews for three minutes?
Quiffling on about the order of ingredients while making tea is decidly un-military as anyone who has ever done a APWT and drunk from the blessed green containers of mystery hot wetness will attest.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Indeed...range stew anyone ?

Quiffling on about the order of ingredients while making tea is decidly un-military as anyone who has ever done a APWT and drunk from the blessed green containers of mystery hot wetness will attest.
Yes, fully agree. But I was always a bit leery about those floaters in the officers' tea.

Ed for spellin'