Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Taboo subjects in Brit Culture that most Americans don't grasp?

D

Deleted 24582

So on to a more serious topic today, since it is 1511 and I am bored out of my mind, and ran out of rubber bands to shoot at my coworkers...

What are the taboo things to talk about in polite British society?? I have pegged money as something that is generally not something to discuss where as over here we don't mind it nearly as much? Care to provide some more tips on things to avoid as a Spam not trying to intentionally piss in your Cheerios?

It’s generally viewed as the polite thing to ask any Brit you meet whether he’s found Jesus, on first introduction. You could follow up quickly by asking how much he earns, to demonstrate your familiarity with our culture..

When you say 'polite company', how polite do you mean?

I wouldn't talk to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II about my piles, for example.

I was thinking about the Non Squaddie crowd. You know the normal gentle people who don't appreciate the gallows humor.

Well, the old rules in the Mess were not to talk about politics, women or religion.

That is about 4 decades ago, though, and these matters are built on shifting sands.

I would recommend these days you dance very gingerly around gender identity and Brexit. For the same reasons.

Well, the old rules in the Mess were not to talk about politics, women or religion.

That is about 4 decades ago, though, and these matters are built on shifting sands.

I would recommend these days you dance very gingerly around gender identity and Brexit. For the same reasons.

Is Brexit that much of a divisive issue?

The Prince of Wales does like to discuss the size of his external aural organs. Indeed, should you ask him a question to which there is an answer in the affirmative, he will answer: "Ears".

I understand that it’s not the done thing to talk about the last game of soggy biscuit one was involved in. Don’t ask me how I found that out...