TABING

#1
Hello could some of you give me some advice i am in second phase of my infantry training and i cant TAB for shit i am only 9 stone and i struggle with TABS could any one help me they have a gym there that i can use i just cant seem to keep up with the pace the PTI keeps. What sort of exersice could i do to help maybe build up my legs i have a CFT soon and i am really worried. thanks
 
#2
Plyometric legs - super lunges seem to be the business - jump from a left-leg forward lunge, straight into a right one. Bastardos and burpees work along a similar lines. Good luck - and remember how much of tabbing is down to a positive mental attitude.
 
#3
Being a shortarse I often have a problem with goig straight into a fast tab. Find a way of stretching your shin muscles (going down the front of your lower leg) and it tends you make the initial part of the tab a bit easier until your muscles warm up.

Try - bending the ankle so your toes are pointing up- feel the shin muscle (is it called that?) tenseup and repeat it a few times.

Another favourite of mine - squats are also good for strengthening the quads and other loadbearing bits of the legs.

Ultimately - practice makes perfect.
 
#4
If the shins are burning at the start then leave your toes on the ground as long as you can with each stride to stretch the shins and that will loosen things off. Ensure you have downed a good amount of fluids b4 you go to bed the night b4 and in the morning of the tab. Don’t use trouser twists just loosely tie at the bottom and don’t over tighten your laces. Make sure your trousers waist is not to tight and undo zip to aid ventilation undo cuffs as well you will be surprise the difference these small things will make when put together. But being as small as you are you must get some weight on! Eat and eat and don’t stop until you are at a good weight for your height. As long as you are undergoing army training you wont get fat just build useable body mass try and stay away from the chocolate and eat more protein mega mass supplements might be worth while this is an addition to all your normal meals not as a substitute for one.

As mentioned above positive mental attitude is probably the single most important factor. Remember it is only 2 hours at 4mph.

Dave
 
#5
Devilishdave said:
...don’t over tighten your laces....
Yeah good point Dave - remember doing my first tab at the Scot Div Depot in the late 80s and thought that the tighter the laces the more support I'd have. All I'll say is f***ing ouch!
 
#6
This might sound like a stupid/obvious question but is it mainly a case that the better your upper body strength is, including back muscles, the lighter the load on your legs making it that much easier if you're a bit of a short ar$e??
 
#7
Get your housekeeping right

Make sure your bergan / webbing sit well together, load it up and get your mucker to adjust it so that it all sits right.

Get a good pair of socks / sorbothane insoles.

Eat a big carb based meal the night before, don't miss breakfast.

For the exercise bit you should remember that strength and endurance are speed specific - The best exercise for tabbing is - Tabbing. There isn't much space in the Catterick programme for extra PT but if you talk to your Sect Comd he might be able to work someting out with the PTIs to get you some more tab time. Be careful training on your own - you could injure yourself....

Good lad for asking.
 
#8
All good advice so far, but if you're on the wiry side (as am I) you might want to load up on protein too.
I know it flys in the face of convention, but I perform much better if I've managed to get some extra greasy scoff down my neck in the morning.
 
#9
sandmanfez said:
All good advice so far, but if you're on the wiry side (as am I) you might want to load up on protein too.
I know it flys in the face of convention, but I perform much better if I've managed to get some extra greasy scoff down my neck in the morning.
Ah yes it's not the protein (which is slow to breakdown) but the fat (which breaks down fast) that gives you the go.

Your body will first go to the glycogen stored in your muscles (which you fill up with the carbs in the days before) to provide instant energy.

It then goes onto other stores starting with dietary fat which is fast but quickly burned source of fuel (that's why you don't miss breakfast) before working through easily mobilised bodily fats to "harder" fats dipping inot breaking down bodily proteins on the way if you are in the dung.

So you should be eating enough generally to build muscle for which you need a good balance of protein carb and fat and you should also eat tactically running into the event to make sure you are topped up with carbs in the days before to store up your glycogen and get some fat in you on the day to provide some go. Try not to change your diet suddenly as shitting yourself tabbing is a bad for your "best student" plans
 

Mr Happy

LE
Moderator
#10
Bags of excellent advice here, you could also try popping the rifle's pistol grip in your belt to ensure the weight is more easily carried is about the only thing I can think to add.

Oh, and 'a friend' once passed a very long walk in Wales with a lot of weight on his back with a pocket full of mini-mars and mini-marathons to pop in his mouth everytime he wanted the sugar kick - because of the speed thing you won't be chuffing them all down in 30 minutes, pop one in the gob, bite it in half, pop a half in each cheek, suck em and step where the bloke in front you just stepped etc.... At the very least the choccy will take your mind off the next X miles....

And if you really can't run after basic, ensure you get to L/Cpl as fast as possible, you get an automatic 20% of ability (it comes from pride I think but I've never found the DS answerbook on that one).
 
#11
LostBoss said:
sandmanfez said:
All good advice so far, but if you're on the wiry side (as am I) you might want to load up on protein too.
I know it flys in the face of convention, but I perform much better if I've managed to get some extra greasy scoff down my neck in the morning.
Ah yes it's not the protein (which is slow to breakdown) but the fat (which breaks down fast) that gives you the go.

Your body will first go to the glycogen stored in your muscles (which you fill up with the carbs in the days before) to provide instant energy.

It then goes onto other stores starting with dietary fat which is fast but quickly burned source of fuel (that's why you don't miss breakfast) before working through easily mobilised bodily fats to "harder" fats dipping inot breaking down bodily proteins on the way if you are in the dung.

So you should be eating enough generally to build muscle for which you need a good balance of protein carb and fat and you should also eat tactically running into the event to make sure you are topped up with carbs in the days before to store up your glycogen and get some fat in you on the day to provide some go. Try not to change your diet suddenly as shitting yourself tabbing is a bad for your "best student" plans
Cheers LB, that explains why my favoured venison, redcurrant and port sausages dont work, they are far too lean, but feed me half a dozen nasty cheap "caterers" bangers, and you wont see me for dust. :wink:
 
#13
royal_scot said:
Hello could some of you give me some advice i am in second phase of my infantry training and i cant TAB for s*** i am only 9 stone and i struggle with TABS could any one help me they have a gym there that i can use i just cant seem to keep up with the pace the PTI keeps. What sort of exersice could i do to help maybe build up my legs i have a CFT soon and i am really worried. thanks
At risk of stating the bleeding obvious have you considered training at CFT distance with lighter loads and building the weight up gradually as your strength improves? There aren't any magic exercises that will get you there in a single session.

And what height are you? 9 stone and 6' plus is a problem. But then so is 9 stone and 5' minus.
 
#14
Jelly babies are good as they are pure sugar and therefore go straight in, they can help to top you up but won't make up for a big "glycogen debt" if you haven't prepared well by eating in the days before your event.....

Nutrition is important but you do need to increase your endurance by building muscle. Talk to your sect comd about getting some more phys in - beasting is your friend.
 
#16
thickienongrad said:
This might sound like a stupid/obvious question but is it mainly a case that the better your upper body strength is, including back muscles, the lighter the load on your legs making it that much easier if you're a bit of a short ar$e??
Err, no! The weight is still on your legs and if your legs cant carry your mass then your stuffed. In fact, if you have a fitter upper body (in relation to lower body) it could amke you worse due to momentum forces. Thats what its a good idea to make sure your training routine doesn't just focus on one area, the rest of your body needs to me able to work as a complete system.

OS

(Whats Tabing anyway, i have only really been Tabbing. Is Tabing quicker ;) )
 

Mr Happy

LE
Moderator
#17
Oneshot said:
thickienongrad said:
This might sound like a stupid/obvious question but is it mainly a case that the better your upper body strength is, including back muscles, the lighter the load on your legs making it that much easier if you're a bit of a short ar$e??
Err, no! The weight is still on your legs and if your legs cant carry your mass then your stuffed. In fact, if you have a fitter upper body (in relation to lower body) it could amke you worse due to momentum forces. Thats what its a good idea to make sure your training routine doesn't just focus on one area, the rest of your body needs to me able to work as a complete system.
Quite right OneShot, not that I know anything about upper body strength because I've never had any but without it and with my legs I've never failed on any tab anywhere so I suspect the legs is where you wanna concentrate your work
 
#18
Tab for a greater distance than you'll ever have to. Sounds odd, but worked.

I'm about 11 stone p1ss wet through and really stuggled with my first few tabs. Then I did a 46 1/2 mile endurance march (although it was only carrying about 7 Kilos) and since then CFT's and the like have been p1ss easy.

The difficult bit is the mental discipline and boredom. Once you've kept your mind going for 16 hours, 1 or 2 is easy.
 
#19
Protein rich diet for the training, Carbs for the event. I think it was said before: Get your house-keeping in order: Make yourself as comfortable as you can: Proper fitting bergen, webbing, worn-in boots, 2 pairs of socks 1 ultra thin inner layer, 1 thick wool sock over the top, Keep your laces tight but allow room for your feet to swell (because they will). Go to Boots or a running shop and buy a pair of proper insoles, the ones that come in the boots are shit (I bought a pair of arch support insoles from a Boots chemist and they are amazing!)

By now you'll probably know where the hot spots on your feet are - strap them up in zinc oxide tape and talc between your toes! Carry some sugar - and don't eat it after mile 1. Save it for when you're proper fcuked because not only will it give you a much needed boost of energy, it might cheer you up a bit.

Train for it - find a hilly route and walk it with weight but don't be tempted to run. If you don't mind looking stupid find a really steep hill that's not very long and walk up it backwards - you'll discover muscles you never knew you had (because they'll be screaming at you!).

Other than that, get a decent night's kip and try and remain upbeat about it. Tabbing is a fcuking chore but it's got to be done, can always remind yourself that everything does and will come to an end.
 

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
#20
I always found that pitching back to bks utterly mullered a few hrs before the tab was due to begin, plus a fat boys breakfast and a couple of pints of water kept me going for the duration.

I'd feel better and better during the tab, while those that were tucked up in bed early doors after reading their Rupert the Bear annual felt worse as the time and miles went by.
 

New Posts

Latest Threads