Discussion in 'Infantry' started by the_creature, Feb 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i have just transfered from the signals to infantry. normally i would only need to do a cft with 15kgs in the bergen however now the minimum is 25kg. i dont have a problem tabbing with 25kgs however i normally use small weights to make the weight, can anyone give me advice in how to get my bergen weighing 25kg with just normal kit or tips.

2. Wearing webbing as well?

I stick half-kilo bags of sand into my pouches and so get a lot of the required weight down on my hips rather than perched on my back.

1.5kg in each mag pouch balanced by 3kg in the LMG pouch on the right (6kg total) balanced at the back by two full wb (roughly 2kg each) either side of 2kg sand in the spare utility.

That's around 12kg altogether and its' pretty simple to make up whatever else you need in a bergan.

Best off using either silicon or kiln dried sand otherwise your weights can vary due to moisture. Make sure you use strong bags and don't pack the sand in tightly else they're a b'stard to get in and out of the pouches.

Works for me, but other blokes prefer all the weight on their backs. I've seen 2ltr pop bottles full of water (2kg a piece), gym weights, ECBA plates, radio batteries, sandbags full of gravel, Maddie etc etc.
  3. cheers for the reply i have seen people use the pop bottles before so might try that, cheers.
  4. I have been out the Army for nearly nine years, but I beleive (Personal Opinion) it is best filling your bergen with the kit you will use, don't use "Dead weights" if it is still light then fill it wit more clothing.

hopes this helps

5. 2L bottles of water from ASDA, 19p, we sack off the bergen and use webbing and daysack.
  6. I'd prefer to keep the size down, so heavier smaller objects I like but puffy sleeping bags and clothing I don't... 8)
  7. Go to Homebase and buy a bag of builders sand for £1.49 (it happens to weight 25kg) and then Black nasty it up tight with a nice handle so you can add and remove at will
  8. Always used sand myself. Constant weight.
  9. I used to speak to my PSI about CFT requirements and he assured me a steady diet and lots of the standard phys like running and press ups and sit-ups did the job quite nicely as long as it was consistent effort.

In that theory, a CFT would be good as a benchmark as a timed effort from A to B to see how you've responded to the training, I've been too used to seeing the lads run around with patrol-sacks.
  10. Doing a CFT about three years ago and one of the blokes was a bit light on the weight. Being barman I casually suggested that he use a slab or so to get the weight done.

He pops it in his bergan and off he goes for the gentle walk. Halkway through he gets a bit wet around his backside as some of the tins had split. Certainly took our minds off the walk laughing at his wet patch. Got weighed at the end and as we were territorials it cost him his £1500 bounty (ex reg) . Yes I did charge him for the four broken tins, I'm sure the most expensive drinks he ever had, well besides his career killing night out in Germany.

Top bloke.
  11. THought the CFT at that time was attempt-only, rather than pass / fail?
  12. Many say carry only what you would carry on ex or ops, but I ask, when you rock up to a CFT how much ammunition, chorley's, magazines, radios, batteries, rations, CWS etc you will have on you, it is often neccessary to make up the weight with other things like suggested here, sand, water filled bottles (roughly 1 kilo per litre), or even books, it is important it is distributed well and evenly, with a doss bag etc to pad it all out.

I find my webbing alone weighs from 5 to 10 kilos alone when I have two litres of water, food, magazines and anything else I may be carrying (all of which can be replicated by sand, water, books etc for a CFT), and remember the weapon is part of the weight you carry, so there is 5 kilos, leaving only 10 - 15 kilos to go in your bergan/daysack. To often I see recruits failing CFT's because of piss poor kit packing that is causing them discomfort, well packed and distributed weight is so much easier to carry, and to be honest on ex and especially ops you will be carrying more than 25 kilos of kit any way.
  13. Recruits ( SUTs ) tend to fail because they are not fit enough, not because of poor packing. The DS should be on hand to sort that out, anyway.

Sack of sand, thats whats in the daysack I use for CFT etc.
  14. Could not agree more about kit packing been DS responsibility, however when they turn up outside the gym for a CFT it is not the PTI's job to go and start sorting kit out, that is for section commanders.

Fitness is key for failing but I would argue that I have seen people fail because of their kit causing pain or discomfort rather than the over all fitness.