Tabbing - tips for shorties?

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by poetic_justice, Nov 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I've just finished week-end 1 of my TA basic training where I've discovered that being the shortest in my cadre is not exactly going to benifit me when it comes to tabbing.

Are there any tips anyone can give me on how to keep up with my male daddy long leg colleagues?!

Thanks

2. X59

X59 LE

Dig out and put more effort in.

3. I'm a short arrse too i tend to slow jog more than tab its called the brecon shuffle it just some thing you have to get used to

4. Yeah I practically ran the whole way but kept getting shouted at to stop running... Oh the joys of tabbing... Roll on week-end 2 ha :-S

5. Make sure you start at the front next to the PTI then when you start to slow cos your stumpy legs don't spread far enough the start the Brecon shuffle.
    You'll be fine, grizz it out

• Like Like x 1
  6. Would stilts help?

7. yes, as would roller skates, motorised boots or ropes attached to person in front

8. short sharp steps

9. thanks guys!

I'll make sure I push myself to the front, march as fast as my short legs will carry me, then shuffle once i start to drop back!

will practice most nights before week-end 2 and just grit my teeth

10. You around the 5'4" range?

11. errr yeah around that ha.... just under - oh dear!

12. I've seen at least one airborne forces PTI around that height, so it's definitely possible to be a shortarse and capable of doing the job. It's probably about stretching your legs and sheer willpower.

13. Perhaps you should just accept the reality of your situation and head off back to The Shire to rejoin the rest of your Hobbit bretheren?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ethel - I don't give up. where there's a will there's a way... I just wanted to know the direction of the will so I could follow the way...

15. Only children, amputees and circus carneys are any shorter than 6'.

It sounds like you need to get yourself down to the big top and get an application filled out.