Tabbing - struggling even though you are giving everything.

Been in this situation, finding it hard to stay with the pack?

Best training methods to get your (37 year old body) up there? Other than just tab faster!

If you are verticaly challenged this can happen, but the solution is the same for all- stop smoking, start training.
Being small-ish and in my late 30's I find that instead of just going running I need to train with cft in mind, and I have no problems. As I am involved in recruit training I cft quite a bit anyhow and that counts as my training.
If you dont get the chance to do that just go out walking at cft pace somewhere with hills.
THe secret is- there is no secret. If you are really struggling I suggest go and see a doc or a pti for some sort of appraisal.

Don't leave Savoys until 0530hrs! It's a winning formula.

Failing that, lie on your stomach, and raise your chest up, in an arch, to stretch the top of your legs/hips, this will let your stride become longer/easier.

Drink plenty of water the night before/ morning of tab to dilute the alcohol system.

I am a shorty shortarse and had similar problems - the trick I found was to force yourself to place one foot directly in front of the other when pacing, which makes the legs take the strain instead of your whole body. OK, you tend to walk like one of those idiotic women on the catwalks, but the plus side is it can be a way of making new friends.....

Don't try Yomping though - it's harder, faster and you carry more weight over a longer distance........

Coat/Taxi!

The_IRON said:
Drink plenty of water the night before/ morning of tab to dilute the alcohol system.
Completely agree, waters the winner and eating loads. I wouldnt advise any sort of energy drinks or those stupid gels. They make you feel like 10 men for a while then you feel twice as bad as when you set off.

As far as specific training goes I think you need to see what part of the tabbing it is you are struggling with (legs or lungs). Although I think hills is the best way to help long load marching or fast stuff!

staaken said:
I am a shorty shortarse and had similar problems - the trick I found was to force yourself to place one foot directly in front of the other when pacing, which makes the legs take the strain instead of your whole body. OK, you tend to walk like one of those idiotic women on the catwalks, but the plus side is it can be a way of making new friends.....

Don't try Yomping though - it's harder, faster and you carry more weight over a longer distance........Coat/Taxi!

Plus you get grazes from dragging your knuckles along the ground

Add 5-10 degrees to your forward stance from the hips. Beat the hill.

(Chist, sounds like one of those grizzly AIs. Sorry.)

jonny36 said:
What about taking myself and my bergan packed to 36lb to see a shrink?
From what I've heard they've taken the CFT out of the new Psychiatry tests, so chances are your shrink wont have done one.

T C

RedcoatGreenjacket said:
Start off at the front of the pack and don't look back, it's demoralising chasing from the back which makes it feel harder.

RCGJ
Plus you dont suffer from the caterpillar effect

Helium in your beltkit & bergan - always seems to work for the PTIs ...
unfortunately comes down to the old "No Pain No Gain" - just get out there and beast yourself rotten & then some ...

The_Duke

LE
FFBox said:
RedcoatGreenjacket said:
Start off at the front of the pack and don't look back, it's demoralising chasing from the back which makes it feel harder.

RCGJ
Plus you dont suffer from the caterpillar effect
The front of the TAb should be reserved for the weaker people, with only one officer or SNCO to lead, plus the PTI in front. All other officers and SNCOs should form the back ranks. This allows them to "encourage" anyone who is struggling, and avoid accusations of nabbing the best spots at the front.

Tell the PTI that you are weak, and TAB like an asthmatic ant, and they should put you at the front!

The_Duke said:
All other officers and SNCOs should form the back ranks. This allows them to "encourage" anyone who is struggling, and avoid accusations of nabbing the best spots at the front.
This is assuming that the Ruperts and Seniors aren't the biffs needing the encouragement.