Tabbing/ Loaded marches in the RAF?

Mattb

LE
Hi, I am looking to transfer to the RAF from Army. Currently a soldier but will be commissioning once I transfer over. Just wondering if I will need to tab also during RAF training? If so, what is the weight and miles?

For basic training in the army we had to pass 20kg over 6 miles in 90 minutes. I understand at Sandhurst it's 25kg over 8 miles in 2hrs. So far that is what I'm preparing for but it would be good to know the specifics if any of you have gone through RAF basic training. Thanks.
Apoligies for derailing the thread with a serious answer, but:
When I was at Cranwell we were weighted for battle PT - I think it was nominally 10kg for men and 5kg for women, however in practice it was 4 sandbags for men and 2 for women so massively variable.

There's no CFT - as I understand it pass/fail physical tests are limited to the RAFFT (bleep test/2.4km run press-ups and sit-ups) and how often that occurs seems to be largely at the whim of OC OACTU.

You'll also spend a lot of time on exercise in CEFO, so webbing, daysack, helmet and sometimes rifle.

Of course for the RAF Regiment other standards apply after Cranwell, including as far as I know the same CFT as the Infantry.

When I was at Cranwell we were weighted for battle PT - I think it was nominally 10kg for men and 5kg for women, however in practice it was 4 sandbags for men and 2 for women so massively variable.

There's no CFT - as I understand it pass/fail physical tests are limited to the RAFFT (bleep test/2.4km run press-ups and sit-ups) and how often that occurs seems to be largely at the whim of OC OACTU.

You'll also spend a lot of time on exercise in CEFO, so webbing, daysack, helmet and sometimes rifle.

Of course for the RAF Regiment other standards apply after Cranwell, including as far as I know the same CFT as the Infantry.
That's very helpful, thank you mate.

auggie rock

Old-Salt

If you're not going into the RAF Reg then I don't think you'll ever need to lift anything heavier than a spoon after Cranwell. There will be a bag carrier for that. However, if you are going RAF Reg then I'm pretty sure you'll have to do the same CFT standards as the men in your flight. Our Ruperts did.

Cant remember the times off the top of my head but it'll be on the RAF website. It was 25kg plus weapon, webbing, and helmet.
Thanks mate. Which part of training was that for? (Basic, commissioning course, or RAF Reg). The website doesn't mention anything about tabbing unfortunately.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Hi, I will be going for Logistics officer.
Figures

Thumbs Up Drunkard.JPG

Five miles of death for the SRDG. Five yards of mild discomfort for the erks. If you're ex-army you won't have anything to worry about.
That changed some years ago.
Erks do the 5 metres of mild discomfort now, it caused a drop in recruit retention due to the higher standards required.

Don't get me wrong, we had our fair share of hardship in the RAF.

I remember one day having to wait almost 15 minutes for the omelette chef to show up in the mess.

Dessert Pattern

Ha! I was at Marham in December. I asked for the omelette from the a la carte menu..... the look on the chefs face, I thought she was going to stab me!

auggie rock

Old-Salt
Thanks mate. Which part of training was that for? (Basic, commissioning course, or RAF Reg). The website doesn't mention anything about tabbing unfortunately.
Sorry, wrong end of the stick. Scum like me went to Halton not Cranwell. Just letting you know what the weights would be if you did do tabbing (but if you're not RAF Reg then I don't know if or when a Rupert would be required to do so). You will definitely carry your Bergen, weapon, webbing with ammo, and helmet around at some point in your basic even if you're going to ne desk/oven/stores bound for the rest of your career. Good luck, Sir.

Mattb

LE
Commissioning course and basic are one and the same; and not Regiment-specific so there won't be anything until you start JROC.
There are plenty of physical tests on PROC, but none of them involve tabbing.