• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Tabata

#2
I've tried it and it made me want to throw up even though I simply couldn't output the work pace needed to be doing it properly for the last 4 bursts. My aerobic base probably isn't good enough for this to be useful for me yet. The original study was done on the Japanese olympic speed skating team.
 
#3
its seems it should be fairly easy

20 sec full sprint 100% ,10 rest - repeat 8 times .....but everyone is saying its hard ...will give it a go next week
 
#4
I love them, 4minutes of pure hell with whatever exercise you like. Btw www.gymboss.com for the best timer i've seen for them if you don't have decent timing kit yet.

Crossfit forces them on people rather heavily but have to say you do get great increases on bodyweight exercises like press ups, burpees and sit ups if you really stick with them.

P.s. It's hard in the fact your working at a sprint each and every time. It's not the work that's tough it's the intensity.
 
#5
corbuk said:
its seems it should be fairly easy

20 sec full sprint 100% ,10 rest - repeat 8 times .....but everyone is saying its hard ...will give it a go next week
Think of it like this: if you find it easy it means you have room to go harder in the sprint bursts. If you do it with burpees and you can do 8 in 20 seconds, and it doesn't feel that hard, then try and get 10 or 12 out etc..
 
#6
would I be good to use this on my interval day ...I was going to do

1 min sprint 2 min rest X 8-12

But would I get more out of doing the above ?... Maybe mix it up each week?
 
#7
My best sprint routine came from a friend -

Run 100M every 30 seconds; Complete as many sets as possible.

The point being you fail when your 100m sprint goes over 30 seconds, which happens fairly fast after the first 4 or so. Annoying after you think your great after getting sub 15s consistently haha.
 
#8
My name is xpat and I'm a tabaholic.
Tabata is the work of the devil. You'll start off innocently enough with the gym boss. 'I can handle that, it can't be that hard' you'll say. But with the gym boss you loose track of time, don't hear the damn thing, & resolve to do that circuit again with a chum to time you properly.
With said chum(s) it becomes competetive - one does a pushup set, the usual 8 reps of 20 secs on 10 resting, the next guy suggests pushups with plank as the rest position, then its clapping pushups with the plank, etc until you get to the stage where you're trying out evil new combinations beforehand with a second training partner.
Said partner was my local gym manager & now he's addicted too.
It was the rowing machine sprints 20 sec on 10 sec off 8 reps at difficulty level 7 and 100m projected distance that did it for him.
Now we have to do that one between each arms, abs and leg set.
With my climbing mate it was the 'one heave' set the hooked him - do one heave & hold it at the top for 20 secs then rest for 10 with arms stretched. 8 reps. You end up hearing some mental person shouting 'FCUK' in the gym, and then realise its you.
Me, you'll find me lunging with 15KG in each hand 20 secs on 10 secs resting in the lunged position, 8 reps of lactate intoxication incarnate.
Just say no, mate.
 
#9
My name is xpat and I'm a tabaholic.
Tabata is the work of the devil. You'll start off innocently enough with the gym boss. 'I can handle that, it can't be that hard' you'll say. But with the gym boss you loose track of time, don't hear the damn thing, & resolve to do that circuit again with a chum to time you properly.
With said chum(s) it becomes competetive - one does a pushup set, the usual 8 reps of 20 secs on 10 resting, the next guy suggests pushups with plank as the rest position, then its clapping pushups with the plank, etc until you get to the stage where you're trying out evil new combinations beforehand with a second training partner.
Said partner was my local gym manager & now he's addicted too.
It was the rowing machine sprints 20 sec on 10 sec off 8 reps at difficulty level 7 and 100m projected distance that did it for him.
Now we have to do that one between each arms, abs and leg set.
With my climbing mate it was the 'one heave' set the hooked him - do one heave & hold it at the top for 20 secs then rest for 10 with arms stretched. 8 reps. You end up hearing some mental person shouting 'FCUK' in the gym, and then realise its you.
Me, you'll find me lunging with 15KG in each hand 20 secs on 10 secs resting in the lunged position, 8 reps of lactate intoxication incarnate.
Just say no, mate.
Hear, hear...

I much prefer sweating my arse off for an hour on a bike or out on the trails than doing four minutes of that bastard satan-child workout. In fact, when I think about it I tend to go pale and quiet.

On the other hand, nothing gets better results!

"Get fit in four minutes! You wouldn't think it was possible... try our new super routine devised by Dr Tabata*"

*may cause nausea, dizzyness, muscle pain, diarrhoea and nightmares
 
#10
i do it with front squats once a week and its so so so hard!!

i did it the first time with just an empty olympic bar! after i just sat there in a daze for the rest of the day!
 
#11
Complete 32 intervals of 20 seconds of work followed by ten seconds of rest where the first 8 intervals are pull-ups, the second 8 are push-ups, the third 8 intervals are sit-ups, and finally, the last 8 intervals are squats. There is no rest between exercises.

Total - (61Pull-Up + 117Press-Up + 97Sit-Up + 153Squats) - 428total

^That was an OMEGA tabatta based workout.
 
#12
Mmmm, nice.
Try starting with the rower sprints beforehand and finishing with star jumps. Or 30 secs full on spinning max resistance and 15 secs rest between each circuit.
Better stop this, I'm getting the horn.
 
#13
J_E_P said:
Complete 32 intervals of 20 seconds of work followed by ten seconds of rest where the first 8 intervals are pull-ups, the second 8 are push-ups, the third 8 intervals are sit-ups, and finally, the last 8 intervals are squats. There is no rest between exercises.

Total - (61Pull-Up + 117Press-Up + 97Sit-Up + 153Squats) - 428total

^That was an OMEGA tabatta based workout.
Do you do this?! I did a dumbell thrusters tabata the other day with 12k dumbells and almost died and I dont think that is an exaggeration, my heart rate was about 180. I stick to the front squat tabatta about once a week, still hard but nowhere near as nails as the thrusters.
 
#14
Haven't in a while, was followed when i was 100% crossfit.com haha, 2-3montsh back or so.

But yea was completed, not easily i hasten to add, 428 total :D. Admittedly my bodyweight work is one of my strengths.
 
#16
Mag_to_grid said:
J_E_P said:
Complete 32 intervals of 20 seconds of work followed by ten seconds of rest where the first 8 intervals are pull-ups, the second 8 are push-ups, the third 8 intervals are sit-ups, and finally, the last 8 intervals are squats. There is no rest between exercises.

Total - (61Pull-Up + 117Press-Up + 97Sit-Up + 153Squats) - 428total

^That was an OMEGA tabatta based workout.
Do you do this?! I did a dumbell thrusters tabata the other day with 12k dumbells and almost died and I dont think that is an exaggeration, my heart rate was about 180. I stick to the front squat tabatta about once a week, still hard but nowhere near as nails as the thrusters.
I was considering trying out some thrusters into a conditioning route tonight along with some burpees and swings.
Do you rate thrusters highly then?
 
#17
Good power builder, but you find alot of people drop into the squat real hard....give it 20years and they'l have no knee caps.
 
#18
J_E_P said:
Good power builder, but you find alot of people drop into the squat real hard....give it 20years and they'l have no knee caps.
I've seen a lot of variations of the technique, some trying to drop under the weight a lot.

Do you treat it as a snatch for the depth, or do you clean it and drop into deep front squat and the squat up into a push press?

edit- for example, I squat deeper then the first guy at 18s here
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr_1gqoatcs when I front squat
 
#19
Ian1983 said:
J_E_P said:
Good power builder, but you find alot of people drop into the squat real hard....give it 20years and they'l have no knee caps.
I've seen a lot of variations of the technique, some trying to drop under the weight a lot.

Do you treat it as a snatch for the depth, or do you clean it and drop into deep front squat and the squat up into a push press?

edit- for example, I squat deeper then the first guy at 18s here
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr_1gqoatcs when I front squat
I treat it like a front squat to be honest, slightly different hand grip though, since with front squats i only use my fingertips to support it. P.s. 120Kgx5 Front Squat at 80Kg weight :D, i'm getting better at them.
Most people just hit parallel with respect to depth aswell, but with front squats i always feel i can drop much lower without risk to my knees, so tend to do so on thrusters aswell.
I wouldn't bother hitting the depth people do on snatch though, they're only doing that for the sake of getting the weight above their bodies.
As for dropping underneath it, it saves time if your doing some kind of speed based workout, since you can be nearing the bottom of your squat while the weights still descending if that makes sense. Admittedly i do....do that.
 

Latest Threads