• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

TA Work in the office

Purely out of curiosity...

How much time do you spend, on average, doing TA work each day?

Obviously it varies, but I'd say that as a Troop Leader I probably average half an hour every day on niff naff and trivia - nothing special, just keeping paperwork up to date, answering emails etc. The remainder - putting together troop emails and aide-memoires etc - probably around 2 hours a week.

Is this normal, reasonable and sustainable?

I wouldn't say it makes me much worse at my normal job, but I suspect having other things in the back of my mind does dull my enthusiasm for it - after all we only have a certain amount, and if you're putting it into organising interesting, demanding, exciting and appropriate training then your work will suffer.

Given that I only have eleven blokes and three landrovers to look after, the SSM and OC must be distracted a good deal more. My father was an Infantry OC back in the Good Old Days and guesses he did an hour a day then - I suspect that email has increased burden since then.

Anyway - how long do you spend nervously looking over your shoulder and scuttling to the printer? (I always knew the monkey run, combining speed and a low profile would come in handy one day :D )

As a troop leader, I was probably averaging an hour a day. At my old firm's charge-out rate for me, that was £1,500 worth of work per week for two years. I shall advise them to bill the MoD for £81,000 forthwith.

I'm about the same, 30 mins to 1 hr a day. Phone calls to permanent staff, paperwork etc. Things which generally just can't be done on a Tuesday night.

I'm still at university so not much of a problem. Won't be long until it is though...

Depends on role and time in training year. Can do 1-2 hours a day or 1-2 hours a week. I keep forgetting to put in for MTD's so I guess the MoD get quite a bit out of us for free.

Am trying to pad that bill out a bit. Can we add phys as well? I'm sure if my former employers could score £200k out of the MoD they'd have me back.

Latest Threads