TA whilst waiting?

Hi just a quikie,

I applied to join roughly 13 months ago but had to pull out due to unforseen circumstances, now im ready to apply again and the army looks even more full than when i first applied and so its taking longer for people to start basic, but what i was wondering is, is it worth joining a TA outfit for the time being whilst waiting for it all to go through and actualy get started so to speak? i will discuss this in further depth when i have a chance to get to the ACO. and thanks in advance

and please no p**s takers its a simple question

Yes. Just make sure you are open and honest with your local TA unit.

msr

Nobody will look at you in a bad light if you have shown willing and spirit.

Any sensible TA outfit would be proud to support your onward career and to be associated with your aspirations.

The tips and hints you may get from some of the ex regulars might also help get you through basic training a little easier.

best of luck matey

PoGs

ww.pocketcomms.co.uk

Actually,
that is the One Army DS solution and your AFCO should be pointing you in that direction as a matter of course.

Good luck in your TA and Regular careers

HOWEVER....

Budgets are tight everywhere, including (especially?) in the TA. Do not expect them to push the boat out for you, training-wise, if they know you're off to the Regs at the earliest opportunity. As MSR said, go for it, but be honest, and don't be surprised when your peers seem to be doing more than you.

fluteytooty said:
I was under the impression from an ex TA that you had to completely leave the TA in order to start an app with the Regs? Is this not the case then?
No, it isn't.

msr

The TA is low on cash, the recuiting Sgt might not be too keen on on putting you through training if he's not going to keep you.

Nothing personal but the money would be better spent on someone a bit more long term.

Good luck though

If I was your recruiting SGT at a TA unit, I would not be willing to enlist someone who in possably a year or less using the TA as a stop gap. End of!

Stilts

STILTS said:
If I was your recruiting SGT at a TA unit, I would not be willing to enlist someone who in possably a year or less using the TA as a stop gap. End of!

Stilts
Like I said, good luck

hello mate. i would not recommend it personally. if you say your preparing for the regular army, id recommend keeping your head down doing your fitness and prep for that so you score highest possible in your adsc and pass all your interviews.

thing is with the TA, they make you think its seperate, but its not entirely. you still have t complete a whole recruitement process, which maybe wont take as long and be as difficult as regular, but will impact much more on the time for the wait with regular purely because of the application. AND, one of the guys on here said that if your honest they will ake you. highly doubtful. if they kn ow that you will possibly be leaving in a short period of time and are not 100% commited they will not recruit you into the unit. espeically with the whitehall and defence budget being cut.

after new government change as well id get in the careers office as much as you can mate. show them that your keen to get in and that your better than everybody else. lol the last 2 years has been the first time since the cold war and then the falkland periods where the army have actually had a choice of peopleto take into the army because of the recession. so you just need to stand out and they will find you a spot.

h_j_c said:
..id get in the careers office as much as you can mate. show them that your keen to get in and that your better than everybody else. lol ... so you just need to stand out and they will find you a spot.
I thought from the starting point of this thread was that he had already been accepted but that there is a long wait to start basic? In that case, turning up regularly at the careers office shouting 'me, me, me' is more likely to get you branded a potential loon.

The best thing to do would be to actually ask your local TA unit if they'll take you: the worst they can say is no. I'm sure we've taken people in the same situation so it's not uncommon, and I don't think your training (i.e.weekends 1-7 and CMSR) come out of our budget.

Turret_Monster said:
h_j_c said:

The best thing to do would be to actually ask your local TA unit if they'll take you: the worst they can say is no. I'm sure we've taken people in the same situation so it's not uncommon, and I don't think your training (i.e.weekends 1-7 and CMSR) come out of our budget.
Despite the scepticism I would advise trying, I was in the TA for a few years and it's a definite heads up for what to expect.

Turrets hit the nail on the head 'the worst they can say is no'

I'd strongly discourage joining the TA if you intend to join the regs.
I was in the TA for 18 months, now I intend to join the regs and I'm at a disadvantage because I'm considered a rejoiner.

There's no prerequesite knowledge for selection that you can gain from TA service. Further, basic training is designed to accept civilians with no prior experience, so TA training may put you at a disadvantage there.

Rantallion said:
I'd strongly discourage joining the TA if you intend to join the regs.
I was in the TA for 18 months, now I intend to join the regs and I'm at a disadvantage because I'm considered a rejoiner.

There's no prerequesite knowledge for selection that you can gain from TA service. Further, basic training is designed to accept civilians with no prior experience, so TA training may put you at a disadvantage there.
The_IRON said:
Stand-By said:
What if someone was in the TA and left are you still considered a rejoiner if you apply for the Regs?
NO