TA whilst waiting?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by sutton, Jun 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi just a quikie,

I applied to join roughly 13 months ago but had to pull out due to unforseen circumstances, now im ready to apply again and the army looks even more full than when i first applied and so its taking longer for people to start basic, but what i was wondering is, is it worth joining a TA outfit for the time being whilst waiting for it all to go through and actualy get started so to speak? i will discuss this in further depth when i have a chance to get to the ACO. and thanks in advance

and please no p**s takers its a simple question
  2. msr

msr LE

Yes. Just make sure you are open and honest with your local TA unit.

3. Nobody will look at you in a bad light if you have shown willing and spirit.

Any sensible TA outfit would be proud to support your onward career and to be associated with your aspirations.

The tips and hints you may get from some of the ex regulars might also help get you through basic training a little easier.

best of luck matey

4. brilliant, thanks alot to you both
  5. Actually,
    that is the One Army DS solution and your AFCO should be pointing you in that direction as a matter of course.

Good luck in your TA and Regular careers
  6. HOWEVER....

Budgets are tight everywhere, including (especially?) in the TA. Do not expect them to push the boat out for you, training-wise, if they know you're off to the Regs at the earliest opportunity. As MSR said, go for it, but be honest, and don't be surprised when your peers seem to be doing more than you.
  7. I was under the impression from an ex TA that you had to completely leave the TA in order to start an app with the Regs? Is this not the case then?
  8. msr

msr LE

No, it isn't.

9. Misread the title as TA whilst walting!!
  10. When I went to the AFCO recently they said they had several people doing the TA while waiting for a spot, so it seems to be approved of.
  11. Haha, me too!
  12. The TA is low on cash, the recuiting Sgt might not be too keen on on putting you through training if he's not going to keep you.

Nothing personal but the money would be better spent on someone a bit more long term.

Good luck though
  13. If I was your recruiting SGT at a TA unit, I would not be willing to enlist someone who in possably a year or less using the TA as a stop gap. End of!

14. Like I said, good luck