TA whilst waiting for Army?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by MikeS, Mar 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I passed adsc back in August 2009 with a grade c, should of done better but due to nerves = no sleep = dozy performance. My chosen reg is the rifles, and as i have recently found out the next intake isn't until September, at which time it will be over a year since i have done adsc so i will be looking at going back to adsc.
    Now i WILL get that grade A when i go back there, i'l be darned if i'm gonna let another opportunity slip by especially with all this time to prepare.
    I am wondering this however, wold i be able to get employment with the TA in the meantime, doing stores, whatever really, just something that is Army related, preferably to do with the infantry, to keep my focus and motivation up.
    Any advice on this would be appreciated.
  2. Short answer is to wait for September, it ain't that far away.
  3. I'l most likely miss that intake as it'l get filled with A's and B's, unless i get lucky and go back to adsc before that get loaded up
  4. Mikes,

If you went to a TA unit they would probably turn you away as it is not worth their while training you (which would take most of he time until you go reg) if you are going regular to repeat all that training anyway. TA units only get a limited number of places on RTC courses, why should they give one to someone who they know isnt going to stay around. The days when the TA would take any warm body are gone.

Dont bother trying to keep it a secret you are going regular as they should immediately enter your details on the database and your regular application will pop up.

Sorry to be the bearer of negative news. This just one of those things, at the moment more people want to join the Army than it cope with, which applies to both regular and reserves.
  5. msr

msr LE

Go along to your local unit and ask. Just be honest with them. I expect they will take you, as who knows what may happen between now and Sept.

6. msr

msr LE

Evidence about the reserves please!

7. I'm an ex stab applying to join the regs and I've been told I have a hard time ahead of me at pirbright because of this.

Everything at ATR is designed carefully and specifically to turn civilians with no army knowledge into soldiers. If you were to serve in the TA, you'd alter your chances of success at ATR. You'd get into bad habits.

I'd suggest spending the time in between doing stuff that...

A: will prepare you for ATR... eg Gym time, army research etc.
    B: you won't be able to do once you're in. Eg: a training course, volunteering, a temp job in a different feild.
  8. Is there an army related search engine that will help me find my local unit? Google just gave me the army jobs website. Or is it a case of just give my local afco a bell?
  9. Do they still do the summer challenge?
  10. The TA recruitment website lets you search by postcode, if I remember right.
  11. Cheers, already found out though, expecting a call back off a TA recruitment officer tomorrow...or today as it now as. Best drag my arrse to bed o7