TA websites

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by ben0239, Oct 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For a long time now i have thought that TA websites would be a great way to recruit people, however a number of TA units have outdated websites, i think ours is 4 or 5 years old. Who's responsibilty is it to update sub unit websites?
  2. There are usually set editors within a squadron who have been on the Army Content Management System course. They submit pages which are then approved or rejected by the PSI.

There are other units which have created independent website for their units outside Army.mod.uk, however I don't know off the top of my head how copyrights etc apply.
  3. It can't be that good a course, my units web site looks like it was thrown together in 10 minuets using front page :roll:
  4. The current ACMS is dire, but the boffins in Blandford are just about to release a better version. The whole point of it is to allow complete technical duffers to create web content. And the ACMS course is only designed as familiarisation to the web system rather than how to actually create a nice looking website.

It would be much better if we could create and upload content that's been produced in something like Dreamweaver rather than the Notepad wannabe thats currently used. With a bit of effort though, the pages can be made to look fairly nice. Such a page is this one http://www.army.mod.uk/royalsignals/67sigsqn/ which has improved greatly on the previous versions.
  5. Being a web developer myself I would like to point out that technology does not make a good looking or informative website, my Dad recently splashed out about 700 quid on a camera because he wants to take up photography, thing is his pics are shiite because he hasn't the eye and no amount of money or kit will make up that fatal shortfall
  6. Notepad is the ONLY way to write a website, bloody Dreamweaver hurmph, in my day you know drone drone drone zzzzzzzz
  7. I'm a coder in civvy street so I know how great Notepad can be. But when I'm in a rush to throw some HTML together I just use a WYSIWIG such as Dreamweaver before I tuck into the script side of things. Besides I find coding in DW easier (it makes various things different colours!)
  8. I know I'm taking th urine mate, tell you the truth most of the coding I have done recently has been with DW as its usually quick knock together sites, DW code is nowhere as bad as that abortion FrontPage or as much as the likes of GoLive. Personally I prefer something like HomeSite as it gives you greater control of the code but can slow you down a lot

Can you not use the likes of DW to create the code then cut and paste into this ACMS thingy ?

Actually I have a question about those that maintain the unit websites, can you get MTDs for creation/upkeep ? I would volunteer to sort out ours but don't want to be stiffed (whoops just realised the Recruiting Officer uses this site and I think I might get stiffed anyway)
  9. There’s the problem as I see it.

If we want to use unit web sites as a recruiting tool then we should have trained web designers building them.

If your web pages address starts with http://www.army.mod.uk/... Is should at least look professional, the public is looking.
  10. You need to speak to your OC about getting MTDs. Any time you put in on it should be classed as working for your unit, therefore you should get paid. I got 2 days MTDs when I first gave our site an overhaul, but as I only put 5 minutes here and there now to keep it up to date I haven't bothered claiming.

The one thing that does get on on pip with the unit website is that you have got a URL the length of the address bar to get there. Why they can't implement a number of redirects which would give an address similar to: http://www.mod.uk/37Sigs or something like that which is a lot easier for the public to remember and follow.
  11. Those that don't ask, don't get.

You would be pleasantly surprised at the attitude of the ArmyNET management...why not have a chat with them.

Unit websites are only dire if the unit personnel don't care about them. You don't have to be a two-star general to make a difference to your website.