TA VCs

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Rifle-Green-Sex-Machine, May 4, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. in response to a question on another topic, can anyone list the VC's that members of their unit or predecessor units have won?

It would be intersesting to see if the Regular Regiments haver included them in their tally.

2. I hearby claim Capt Queripel on behalf of the Royal Army Medical Corps!!

3. I'd be surprised if any current unit 'lost' VCs from their antecedant units.

Queripal VC joined 10 para (not then a TA Bn?) when it was raised, largely from 2nd Royal Sussex in Egypt. In such cases they seemed to retain original badges (was this an option?).

4. hey, wheres ParaManCans post gone???

5. Being a member of the Royal Regiment obviously we have far toooo many to remember whos reg whos TA etc :wink:

Seriously though, our lot is very Bty insular, I can tell you all about George Symonds spiking the guns at the heights surrounding Inkerman, but thats about it, and I consider myself a bit of a buff

6. Heres one Albert Ball, VC
    Joined the Robins Hoods (1/7th Sherwood Foresters) early in WW1, then went on attachment to RFC where he earned his VC.

Also Charles Vickers also a Robin Hood

Plus William Johnson 1/5th Sherwood Foresters

Lastly Bernard Vann 1/8th Sherwood Foresters

The units the last two were in is now WFR Coy East Of England Regiment and the first two is now a 350 Field Sqn RE (although technicaly part of the Inf Robin Hoods merged into 87 Signal Sqn RSigs)

7. The Middlesex Yeomanry (now 47 (Mx Yeo) Sig Sqn-

Lt Col Watson VC (France, WW1).
    Maj AM Lafone VC (Palestine/Syria WW1).

8. The only VC winner on D Day:

During the assault on the beaches and the Mont Fleury battery, CSM Hollis's Company Commander noticed that two of the pill boxes had been by-passed and went with CSM Hollis to see that they were clear. When they were 20 yards from the pill box, a machine gun opened fire from the slit. CSM Hollis instantly rushed straight at the pill box, firing his Sten gun. He jumped on top of the pill box, recharged the magazine, threw a grenade in through the door, fired his Sten gun into the box, - killing two Germans and making the remainder prisoners.
    He then cleared several Germans from a neighbouring trench. By this action he undoubtedly saved his Company from being fired on heavily from the rear, and enabled them to open the main beach exit.
    Later in the same day in the village of Crepon, the Company encountered a field gun and crew armed with Spandaus at 100 yards range. CSM Hollis was put in command of a party to cover an attack on the gun. Hollis pushed right forward to engage the gun with a PIAT from a house at 50 yards range. He was observed by a sniper who fired and grazed his right cheek and at the same moment the gun swung round and fired at point blank range into the house. To avoid the falling masonry CSM Hollis moved his party to an alternative position. Two of the enemy gun crew had, by this time, been killed and the gun was destroyed shortly afterwards. He later found that two of his men had stayed behind in the house and immediately volunteered to get them out. In full view of the enemy, who were continually firing at him, he went forward alone using a Bren gun to distract their attention from the other men. Under cover of his diversion, the two men were able to get back. Wherever fighting was heaviest CSM Hollis appeared, and in the course of a magnificent day's work he displayed the utmost gallantry and on two separate occasions his courage and initiative prevented the enemy from holding up the advance at critical stages.
    It was largely through his heroism and resource that the Company's objectives were gained and casualties were not heavier. By his own bravery he saved the lives of many of his men.

9. realised my error, before i thought it had been read.

10. Lionel Queripel was R Sussex attached to 10 Para (his grave stone with R Sussex cap badge and VC reads Captain L H Queripel R Sussex att Parachute Regiment Army Air Corps).

Though an airborne VC he was the only R Sussex VC of WW2. He was commissioned as part of the last regular intake as the war started. He was also one of 10 VC winners to come from Tunbridge Wells.

11. The picture of him in our battalion training calander has him with Para Regt cap badge. I believe it may have originally been an option for officers.

12. He could have just beat the germans to death with his clanging steel balls. what a guy :eek:

13. Met him once when my Grandfather took me to his pub in North Ormesby. I was too young to realise that I was in the presence of a great man. Many years later I met his OC, the man wot wrote the citation. One of the best dinners I have ever attended.

Stabtastic - are you going to respond to my pm or what?

14. His actions are described quite well in Gold Beach - Inland from King - June 1944 by Christopher Dunphie and Gary Johnson - Pen and Sword books I think the authours used to take students from the Army Staff College, the book does read as a tour and its only a tenner.

The book also follows other parts of 30 Corps as the advanced into the Bocage, including the infamous incident at Villers-Bocage which involved Lt Whitman and his Tiger tanks and the 4th City of London Sharpshooters (Yeomanry? now a Signal Squadron?)

15. Major Stewart Loudon-Shand (Pembroke Yeomanry) won a posthumous VC for his actions on July the 1st 1916 (Fricourt Battle of the Somme). His citation reads;

For most conspicuous bravery near Fricourt on the 1st July I916. When his company attempted to climb over the parapet to attack the enemy's trenches they were met by very fierce machine gun fire, which temporarily stopped their progress. Major Shand immediately leapt on the parapet, helped the men over it and encouraged them in every way until he fell mortally wounded. Even then he insisted on being propped up in the trench, and went on encouraging the non-commissioned officers and men until he died.

Regards,
    RRR