• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

TA units in greater manchester

#1
Hi I live in leigh in manchester any one have any expierience of the units in the manchester area?
Obviously want somewhere that is enthusiastic about new recruits and not too clicky as don't want to waste my time some where that does the minimum in regards to getting people started.
I'm 28 and a mechanical engineer by trade.
127 Field Company - Manchester
202 Field Squadron Detachment, 75 Engineer Regiment (V)
Most interest me but if they are not ideal would join a infantry unit / armoured unit.
So hope some one can help me out.
 
#2
I would go for the Eng option (my opinion so feck off you lot) as 127 is part of a REME Battalion (run away). Engineers tend to do more of an active lifestyle and get involved with slightly more interesting kit. Is there not a pie detachment in Leigh :p
 
#3
Mancstu

If you are considering, Royal Armoured Corp (RAC), take a look at:

D (DLOY) Sqn, Royal Mercian and Lancastrian Yeomanry (RMLY) in Wigan.

Good Luck

YM
 
#4
The yeomanry is probably the closest to me.
What does an armored unit do in the ta do you train much with the vehicles or are they else where in the country.
Do you get many tours if so what have the guys on tour been used for.
 
#7
Mechanical Engineers come under the wing of Royal Engineers. REME has mechanics (among others) but not mechanical engineers.

Presuming that you are a mechanical engineer, rather than a mechanic, bear in mind that the place where your qualification could best be put to use is with 170 (Infra Support) Engineer Group, in one of the Specialist Teams (STRE). It's a nationally recruited organisation so doesn't have Drill Nights and has few weekends. Its main effort is design and, to some extent, maintenance.

If it's warriness that you're after, then 75 would provide some interesting challenges, though probably more physical than mental. It's unlikely that you'd make much use of your mechanical engineering background.
 
#8
putteesinmyhands said:
Mechanical Engineers come under the wing of Royal Engineers. REME has mechanics (among others) but not mechanical engineers.

Presuming that you are a mechanical engineer, rather than a mechanic, bear in mind that the place where your qualification could best be put to use is with 170 (Infra Support) Engineer Group, in one of the Specialist Teams (STRE). It's a nationally recruited organisation so doesn't have Drill Nights and has few weekends. Its main effort is design and, to some extent, maintenance.

If it's warriness that you're after, then 75 would provide some interesting challenges, though probably more physical than mental. It's unlikely that you'd make much use of your mechanical engineering background.
REME do have mechanical engineers in a variety of posts.
 
#10
two-four-albert said:
REME do have mechanical engineers in a variety of posts.
If you look through Armyjobs, you'll find that they don't have any Engineer posts, either electrical or mechanical. Lots of technicians, though.

REME received their title before the advent of the Trade Description Act. ;)
 
#11
Aintbrokedontfixit said:
If you want to go on tours try MG Platoon 4 Lancs at Bury.
Seconded. If it's tours you are after Bury is the place to go. Recently our lads have been on tour to Cyprus with the UN, to Afghan with 2 RRF last summer, 1 Lancs now and some will mobilize for H13 with 16 AA in June. Being an MG platoon you get to use more weapons than a standard rifle platoon, i.e, 4 Lancs at Ardwick.

Plus, you will be a Fusilier rather than a pikey Kingo!
 
#12
I'm a mechanical craftsman at a brewery to be more specific not much cross over of skills other than just general stuff. Not really that concerned about matching ta job to my trade.
So msr are you a member at Bolton or just dealt with them a few times.
What do you get used for on tour in the arty? Mainly infantry work or actual deployed as arty.
Not too tour hungry as will want to be as skilled as i could be before doing that and realise this would take some time. Plus want to test the waters in work alot before I could do it.
 
#13
Other thing work in manchester until 7PM would showing up occasionally late be an issue for drill nights.
Work daft shifts too so at weekends showing up 1 day outa the 2 sometimes be a problem on occasion??
I know its the army and discipline is important but so is work.
 
#14
putteesinmyhands said:
two-four-albert said:
REME do have mechanical engineers in a variety of posts.
If you look through Armyjobs, you'll find that they don't have any Engineer posts, either electrical or mechanical. Lots of technicians, though.

REME received their title before the advent of the Trade Description Act. ;)
OOPS good job Im out soon then, don't want to upset the apple cart (which is probably VOR anyhow). My SPSI job is available soon but I wouldnt advise it. 8O
 
#15
mancstu said:
I'm a mechanical craftsman at a brewery to be more specific not much cross over of skills other than just general stuff. Not really that concerned about matching ta job to my trade.
So msr are you a member at Bolton or just dealt with them a few times.
What do you get used for on tour in the arty? Mainly infantry work or actual deployed as arty.
Not too tour hungry as will want to be as skilled as i could be before doing that and realise this would take some time. Plus want to test the waters in work alot before I could do it.
I am at Bolton and we deploy in role. PM me for more info.

msr
 
#18
got a mate who is in 1mercian in stockport and he says its a good unit. n hes bin on two tours with em. its in stockport so not that far from your area
 
#19
be a man among the men...........................................
75 eng oldham rd....................................
202 fld sqn................................
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
 

The_Duke

LE
Moderator
#20
FNUSNU said:
Royal Marines Reserve, 4 Para and 23 SAS, in Manchester/Liverpool, Manchester and St Helens repectively.
News to me.

Last I checked the northern 4 Para locations were Pudsey (C Coy and HQ Coy) with C Coy outstations at St Helens and Hebburn.

Well worth the travel if you want to go for something more physically demanding with a real operational focus and role.
 

Latest Threads