TA type B commissions...

Discussion in 'OTC and ACF' started by tuesday, Jul 1, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What do people think of being a 2Lt while at OTC? How much more time does it involve than the average OTC bod does? I'm hoping to do Sandhurst after uni so would it be worth it or not?!? Any advice, comments, or personal experiences would be appreciated.

Cheers :D
  2. What you do as an otc subbie pretty much depends on which otc you are at.

Looks like a good crack at my otc, as they don't seem to do much extra apart from orderly duties and armoury checks.

Also definatly worth doing for the £51.

If you are going to go for it its a good idea to do it pretty soon as they tacc is being changed from the 2 week summer holiday in sandhurst to a much longer drawn out process with your brigade.
  3. If your at uni you should enjoy the full uni experience, be a bod for a few years and have a laugh with the guys.

An OTC 2Lt tends to suit those who are doing courses around or over 4 years, purely because by that stage you've moved through the system. If your going to do Sandhurst anyway I really woulnd't bother with the extra stress that will most likely damage your degree.

Has anybody noticed the shockingly large number of 2:2's gained by OTC students?
  4. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Old-Salt Moderator

Really? Many years ago I did the "Two-Week Summer Holiday" course while at uni (well, three-weeks with TAPC), and accordingly was issued pips in the cornflakes the next day. How is the process changing?

Personally, I believe that as long as you do not succumb to the "...this one time, at OTC..." syndrome, when you eventually reach RMAS, then any experience of the place can only be to your benefit when you begin the Commissioning Course. (I would go so far as to suggest deliberately not highlighting your TA experience for most of first term, as you're all in the same boat anyway, so you may as well blend in.)

The main advantage is that having already undertaken a course there, albeit something of an attendance course in my experience, is that the "shock of capture" during the first couple of weeks on the regular course is reduced. Since you're less nervous, it all seems easier. In any event, I can see no disadvantage to doing it; and the extra money, and not being at the bottom of the food chain at OTC, can't hurt you!