TA training programme

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Bobby-Dazzla-82, May 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all,

I've posted this question on a couple of threads but have decided to start my own

I'm just going through the signing up process I've passed my hearing test and have got to go in this Tuesday to collect papers for my GP to sign??

First question is why do I go to my GP? I had a medical booked which was cancelled by TA last minute due to change in procedure, does anyone know what and how long this might take ?

Assuming I pass my medical I will then go on selection, if I pass I would like to do the summer challenge, so nxt question what TA training do I need to do before I can be considered for the challenge and once it is complete what (if any) follow on training do I need to do to become a TA soldier with the Mercian's

Last question (this ones a bit far out there) if I pass all of the above before the winter will I or can i be considered for a tour of Afgan ?

Any guidance on this thread or PM's will be greatly received

Cheers in advance dazzla

2. Use the search and the stickies or a mod will smite you with a mighty smiting.

3. <br />
    <br />
    The best thing to do would be to give your TA centre a call mate. <br />
    <br />
    RG8 forms you're collecting will take a while for the GP to get all the reports, etc, if necessary. So that could take a while. For me, getting my RG8 sorted took 3 weeks after giving it to my GP, although I'm not saying that will be the case for you. <br />
    <br />
    After you have your RG8 forms ready, they have to be sent off and assured that they're fine, then the unit will book you on your RSW. I'm not sure about the medical process now, as I was told it was new, so if someone has the correct details please feel free to correct me. <br />
    <br />
    Then you will go on your RSW and hopefully smash it. <br />
    <br />
    After that you will have to wait to get your Army number, which could take a while. Then you will get your kit. <br />
    <br />
    So all in all, some aspects of the process take a very long time, as I'm sure you are aware. <br />
    <br />
    You will still do regular TA weekends coming up to the Summer Challenge if you're booked onto it. For instance, I am required to do at least 1 weekend before I go on Summer Challenge. (However, I think the requirements are different for other Summer Challenges)<br />
    <br />
    I should be on RSW this weekend, so after that I'll be waiting for my army number and kit, hoping to go onto my first weekend away before summer challenge. There is a chance that I won't make it on to Summer Challenge since the processes could take a while. <br />
    <br />
    So it just depends how long things take really mate. Like I said, best thing to do would be to give them a call, or talk to someone when you take your RG8 forms in.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    EDIT: Forgot to say what you do after summer challenge. Summer challenge is your phase 1 training, so if you complete that and pass out, you will then be on to phase 2. You can see here what you will have to expect for phase 2 training - http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/TA_Phase1_Training#Phase_2_Training<br />
    I'm not sure about the time frame, I think it's over a 2 week course, but again, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

4. Can anyone add to this ?

5. Your unit should be able to tell you everything you need to know.

6. Yea going speak to them tomorrow, but already asked about the new medical process and they weren't sure themselves, was hoping someone on here was going through the motions as well.

Again already asked about what I do about the summer challenge and the response was " we just need to make sure your ready " ??

Cheers dazzla

7. Medicals are now done by your won doc - initially. When you get to ADSC... you'll do another. The process for the TA is now the same as it is for the Regulars. Three day selection, I gather.

Bolleaux? Who said that??

8. Hi Dazzla

I've went through the TA selection process for 221 engineers about 5 weeks ago. I had to take the forms to my docs which he sent directly to the TA centre, I then went on the selection weekend at the recruit selection centre at Crowborough. We arrived on the Friday night and had the sight, hearing and p*** tests etc, then the Saturday morning had a proper medical with the army GP who went through the forms sent by my doc. from then on it was all the fitness team and BARB tests then find out if we were in.

I'm going to try and book myself on the 2 week phase one training course tomorrow morning. Its at Malta barracks starting 10th June, if you want I will get all the info I can and give you a PM with anything I can find out about it.

Let me know cheers

Gaz

9. Mate that would be gr8 cheers

10. One day selection 1.5 in under 14 minutes. Normal strength tests. Ice breaker.

After all that you start RT weekends x6, two weekends at pirbright then 2 weeks at Cattrick where you'll be treated like shit everyday !

After all that, you can start having fun. (maybe)

11. Its no longer a one-day selection. Will be same process as the regular Army, so three days so I've been told. Quite likely midweek, too.

Expect delays in processing applicants.

12. Still one day selection here with medicals being carried out by civilian medical practitioner once RG8 has been cleared.

13. That's novel....if you're Infantry it's six weekends doing TSC(A) then three doing TSC(Inf) at your local ATU, then off to ITC for your CIC. If Other arms/Corps it's TSC(A) then off to an ATC for two weeks

14. Change within the last week, so I've been told.

If you've still getting blokes through the one-dayer, good stuff!