TA training cuts - BBC Radio2 phone in 15 OCT 09 1200

Vine is a cnut and is trying to steer it away from the issue supposedly being discussed and make it a general debate on Tory spending cuts

Unimpressed. Hoping for a reasoned debat about the roll/future of the T.A and the dangers the cuts pose to it. Instead we got Vine trying to pin a conservative on overall spending cuts......

msr said:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1220473/Territorial-Army-personnel-risk-training-cuts-save-20m.html?ITO=1490&referrer=yahoo
That report seems very inaccurate as PDT is unaffected. I don't like the cutbacks and think that savings could be better made from other budgets. But be accurate FFS!

StickyEnd said:
msr said:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1220473/Territorial-Army-personnel-risk-training-cuts-save-20m.html?ITO=1490&referrer=yahoo
That report seems very inaccurate as PDT is unaffected. I don't like the cutbacks and think that savings could be better made from other budgets. But be accurate FFS!
Seconded, bad reporting like this will back fire as people get defensive.

Where's Richard Holmes when you need him? :cry:

EX_STAB said:
Vine: "Why can't it be unpaid like the Salvation Army?" :roll:
what a cnut, and i was a big fan of his as well, untill now...

ta_wannabe_sig said:
EX_STAB said:
Vine: "Why can't it be unpaid like the Salvation Army?" :roll:
what a cnut, and i was a big fan of his as well, untill now...
When Matthew Bannister hosts it, in fact when ANYBODY stands in for Vine it is much worth listening to.

A quick point from a fellow (non TA) reservist: If more of the training burden is being moved to OPTAG, and people do less training before mobilisation, there surely they'll be a higher rate of people getting binned due to time limits and the lack of remedial training?

msr said:
Another opportunity missed. A collection of half truths and rumours that show that the "sources" that they quote clearly don't know what is really going on.

Yokel said:
A quick point from a fellow (non TA) reservist: If more of the training burden is being moved to OPTAG, and people do less training before mobilisation, there surely they'll be a higher rate of people getting binned due to time limits and the lack of remedial training?
My friend you have just spotted the key flaw in the argument to reduce TA training. However the need for bodies in theatre may well lead to those who should fail getting through thust endangering not only their lives but others as well. If anything TA training should be increased with a movement in training emphasis to that expected on ops.

*just the opinion of an Ex stab* I was planning to rejoin as well.

Unfortunate that what is actually meant by "training for those to deploying to Afghanistan will continue" wasn't spelled out by any of the contributors.

As I see it, the standard to turn up for PDT is going to be difficult to achieve without having done ANYTHING for up to six months before going to it. I suppose we could ALL volunteer to be mobilised!

EX_STAB said:
Unfortunate that what is actually meant by "training for those to deploying to Afghanistan will continue" wasn't spelled out by any of the contributors.

As I see it, the standard to turn up for PDT is going to be difficult to achieve without having done ANYTHING for up to six months before going to it. I suppose we could ALL volunteer to be mobilised!
I could imagine that so many TA in afgan that they have to start attaching regs to TA battalions.

Nutter said:
EX_STAB said:

I could imagine that so many TA in afgan that they have to start attaching regs to TA battalions.
It happens quite regularly.