TA Tours

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by stabandswat, Mar 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Probably been done before but if you wanted to do a tour where are the TA able to go other than Iraq/Afghanistan?
  2. A Staffy from my unit volunteered for Iraq and ended up being sent to Bosnia.
    As far as I’m aware, wherever the regs go the TA can go too so long as there’s a slot to be filled.
  3. Take your pick really, mate of mine just got back from Siera Leone
  4. A lad in our unit has just gone out to Belize........the Barsteward.
  5. My Sgnt Major was talking about postings to Bosnia a few months back. Right enough a mate of mine put in for Iraq and shes in Afghanastan at the moment
  6. This thread makes it sound like booking a holiday with Thomas Cook!!!!!

Try getting mobilised with our lot!!!!!!!
  7. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

'Twas the case that a TA soldier couldn't be mobilised for service on Op Banner in Northern Ireland. I think that holds true for FTRS (FC) as well. He or she could only serve there on an S-Type engagement in which case they ceased to be TA.

Mate, I take it you're still with 71 (Stay-At-Home Yeomanry) Signal Regt? As we've discussed before, to read some of the posts on here you'd think that you get a slit trench in Al Amarah with your name on it along with your initial kit issue. Comparing notes with other TA lads at Chilwell, I can only deduce that it comes down to the admin of your unit. For lads (and lasses) from many units, it really is as easy as falling off a log (and in certain cases you'd wish they'd been more discriminating about who they sent off!). I've also known many (good and eager) blokes who've been frustrated at every turn in their efforts to get mobilised.
  8. Would it be a security issue to name units that are mobilising troops and ones that are not?
  9. RP,

:) very true mate..... I'm convinced that certain people within our organisation don't want people to go as it will take people out of already depleated troops and also send the message the the other "hangers on" that they could be next......

On the other hand I could be paranoid?

There seems to be some very strange things going on that I shouldn't start talking about on here.... but let's just say some senior people have some strange agendas going on regarding TA
  10. Not really..... the army does it all the time?
  11. Thought not.

OK, so what TA units are mobilising people right now?
  12. SOMME Coy, London Regiment are just off to Afghanistan....
    but they were mobilised a couple of months ago
  13. So they're actually going as a formed unit. Interesting. I thought most infantry were just going out as individuals.
  14. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

That thought had passed through my mind also, but hesitated to imply anything more sinister than incompetence (of which there's plenty!) for fear of sounding paranoid myself, but I'm glad you did!
  15. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

You'll find that at least one Force Protection Coy in Iraq will be from a TA Inf Regt. Usually a Bn will be tasked with forming a couple of platoons for an upcoming Op Tour.