TA Top up pay on Operations

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Vonshot, Sep 8, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know to what level civilian salarys will be matched on deployment? What I mean is, to what ceiling will a Pte, Lcpl, Cpl or Sgt expect?

Info would be appreciated
  2. msr

msr LE

As of April this year everyone gets their civilian pay matched up to £200,000 apart from consultant surgeons, who can get more. It's no longer based on expenditure.

3. Well don#t quote me on this as you should direct your questions to the appropriate office in your unit, but if you are called up you should expect them to pay up to 20% over the normal rate for your rank & quals if you can prove that you earn more. If they need you and you NEED more than that to keep yourself off the bread line you can apply to have that topped up, but they will only take into account general living expences, mortguages and other monthly repayments you are committed to, not that you save money or always take three holidays a year or are just about to buy another house etc.

If you are volunteering? Well, that's a whole different game and you are only likely to get your normal pay.
  4. msr

msr LE

The rules have changed: They match your pay now, not your outgoings.

You can also claim for increased house insurance, if your house is empty during your deployment, and for a gardener.

5. Things have changed recently (search this forum for more if you're that interested, see Financial Assistance Consultation thread and the many whinging about Chilwell). The old system of Reservists Standard and Hardship Allowances based on salary cut-off points by rank and means testing has been binned - as it was pants. So any advice you receive that burbles on along those lines can be ignored. If your unit hasn't caught up yet then you'll need to do some discreet education - but in any case Chilwell will be the final arbiter so don't get too depressed if your PSAO is being a mong (as if that would ever happen).

The new system is much simpler and as mentioned above applies to salaries below around 200K. Simply produce your payslips/P60s and you'll get your civvy salary. You can then also apply for extra money if you are hit by extra costs as a result of mobilisation - childcare, extra insurance for an empty property, that sort of thing. This will be closely scrutinised and so have the paperwork necessary to justify your claim to hand. Don't expect to make anything, but in theory you shouldn't lose out either. Experience would tend to suggest that you need to be prepared to push your claim firmly and not accept being messed around by the jobsworths who sadly can be found in the system. Hence I'll repeat the advice to get your paperwork sorted out and to hand before arrival at Chilwell. Take copies etc as well, always useful.

If your military pay is more than your civvy salary then you are not affected by any of the above, you get the military rate.

And finally the above only applies to compulsory mobilisation. If you volunteer then you get nothing, as the system assumes that you wouldn't be volunteering if it was a problem.

The new system addressed the complaints that getting compulsorily mobilising the TA soldier to a war zone in peacetime and then penalising him financially was unlikely to aid retention and recruitment. If applied sensibly it should make mobilisation cost-neutral to the soldier which is after all not unreasonable for a peacetime deployment because the Regular Army can't cope with peacetime taskings.

It does raise the interesting prospect of future mobilisation lists being drawn up with an eye to the wages bill as well as everything else.
  6. Excellent, thank you very much for the speedy responce guys.
  7. Okay, point taken, but I did say "don't quote me..." and advised that the question should be put to the appropriate office. So in these 'new rules', is there a difference between 'compulsory call-up' and 'volunteer' tours?
  8. All call-up is complusory even if you volunteered! - it has to be otherwise RFA wouldn't apply.
  9. So I'm a cleaner and earn £9K a year. My mate (same rank and trade) is a super consultant on £100K a year.

Does that mean a life of Mobilisations for me?

10. Might be better than being a cleaner!!

You're presuming that the system is good enough to make the choice and that they are not completely strapped for the next five years!!. It's still cheaper than a regular.
  11. I imagine it must cost an absolute fortune for compulsory call ups. Does anyone know what the rate is from volunteer to compulsory? I imagine most would, if volunteering lose out on salarys so would wait for complusory.
  12. See my earlier response - I am unaware that there is any difference. You may "volunteer" but it is processed as compulsory in order to enact the legislation and the various benefits. I don't believe this principle has changed even with the increasing levels of mobilisation.
  13. It used to be the case that unless there's a major (world or defense of the UK) war you can only be called up for so long in every 5 years, even if you volunteer. Something to do with pensions provision or some such.
  14. The RFA limit is once in every 3 years. The MOD has published a desired state of once in every five years (for employers consumption more than anything else) but the once in three remains a legal option if circumstances require. it has nothing to do with 'volunteering' as such. You could go more often if you volunteer (which would be deemed compulsory anyway - see earlier comments) but the maximum for complusory (i.e against your will) is one in three.