TA to Regular

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by gi_barbie, Mar 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anybody know the process of becoming regular from being TA?
  2. go to the recruiting office - tell them you are a swinger and away you go.
  3. First step, get down the army careers office and they'll tell you all you need to know.

Good Luck!
  4. its the same as anyone else joining, no perks unfortunately....
  5. you can also try looking in the other threads..
  6. You have to go to the careers office, Fill out your application. I am carrying over my medical bits so I dont have to do another one. Unfortunatly we can not take anything over with us. One Army my butt! You have to join as if you have no experiance at all.

Good luck mate. RMP per chance?
  7. And if you are relatively new to the TA then you will not have any experience.

Does 2 weeks training and an occasional drill night make you a regular soldier these days?
  8. nope we never say we are as we get shot down in flames by the Regs.

I know people that have been on more than one tour, are Lcpls and still have to complete basic training even though they teach new recruits and have been in for a few years.
  9. i wasnt allowed to even take my medical stuff over!! T.A - regs should have to do full reg basic, however they shouldnt have to spend months doing the bullshit paper work and ADSC....waste of time!
  10. Well look at it positively. ADSC and basic should be a walk in the park for you with your experience.
  11. I got to week 5 of basic training and was told that during my weekend off, If I got the results of my ITDs (as it was then) and If I had passed them all, then I could skip the rest of phase 1 and report directly to phase 2.

I brought the results back after the weekend but decided I would be missing out on too much by skipping basic, so tore them up.

There are always good friendships made during training, and its always good to see the lads that you suffered with and talk about old times over a pint.

All experience is good experience!
    One tip though. Don't keep talking about the 'when I was in the TA' shit. It very quickly gets peoples backs up.
  12. Fcuking well done you! If only EVERYONE had that mind set!
  13. I loved my training so would happily do it all over again. However not everyone is the same.
  14. Echo most said here, the only perk is you should, in theory, be more advanced than joe public and training should be "easier"
  15. I think I'm right in saying that it's possible to FTRS across to a regular unit. If they ask you to stay then there is no requirement to go through basic again. We've got one lad doing this at the mo. But he has got four or five years experience, plus the time with the Bn on FTRS. Don't know if it's the norm or not. Either way, best of luck.