TA to Regs, is it possible to transfer over.

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by J35_T3R, Feb 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just wondering, I'm in the construction industry and things are all over the place.

Could I transfer across from the TA to the Regs or just volunteer for tours more often? Good chance I could lose my job over the next year with the way things are.

Just in the early stages of training and not quite sure if thats an option for me.
  2. The fact that you have just started training MIGHT negate you transfering, I am in construction mate and its all falling down around peoples ears at the minute, we are letting guys go left right and centre, get yourself in the careers office and join reg, you are at least gauranteed an income and a safe job for 'X' amount of years if you get in ?
  3. Not sure about transferring directly into the regs but have you considered a FTRS engagement.

The British Army website shows a variety of roles with differing lengths and locations.

Good luck whatever you choose.
  4. Ask your PSI
  5. I'm in the same position but i'm leaving college instead of losing a job. i looked into it a bit and it sounds gucci going from TA to... full time TA, but TBH your better off dropping the TA and going straight into basic training with the Regs, that's what i'll be doing anyway, have you got a trade you wanna do in the Regs?
  6. I'm just thinking further down the line on the 'what if' scenario just incase my day jobs becomes under threat again. Going regular right now isn't really an option until I'm thrown out on my ear. I've got at least another 6 months in which time things might have picked up.
  7. F uck it, go into the Regular Army. It will be the best decision you will ever make.
  8. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

For guaranteed long term contract, go regular.

For possible short term contracts, go TA then FTRS as required.

For TA transfer to Regular, it can happen, but there are many, many hurdles that can be placed in your way. For every anecdotal "dead easy, one tour and they asked him to stay" there is also a "been there, did the tour, but computer says no".

Your decision to make depending on what you want to get out of it.
  9. Usually transfering from TA to Regs means you have to start all over again- that's the boat im in.
  10. Sappagirl PM inbound, dont worry its not nasty or a picture of something skin coloured ! :)
  11. I'm also in the process of going from TA to Reg, had to go to the careers office and start a fresh application as you cant just transfer over but like Duke said there is a possibility if you have done a tour etc or FTRS that the unit you have served with may ask you to stay on full time. best option get yourself down the AFCO and have a word with them.
    At the moment i'm held on on med grounds, blooming selection centre grrrrrrr :x welll blooming stupid body i should say :cry:
  12. When I asked back at my unit, they seemed to make out the transfer over was a lot easier than what people are saying here... ah well.

Haribo, do you have to go through ADSC?
  13. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Make sure that the person you are speaking to is very clear about what YOU want to achieve, which may not exactly match what THEY want to achieve.

If you want a short term solution to being out of work, or are happy to bounce from job to job then back to back FTRS can be the answer. This is potentially beneficial to both sides and creates a short term fix for manpower shortages.

If you want to transfer for a full career with full prospects of promotion, pension etc then make sure that is what you will be getting.

Beware the "FTRS then you can hop over" option as this may store up problems for you in the future.
  14. Yeah i do, have to do everything again, application form, RG8 form from docs (which is causing me problems at the selection centre as whats holding me up isnt on my TA med records but is on my new RG8) BARB test, with the maths and english test, interviews then finaly ADSC :( its annoying but at the end of the day its what i want to do so i just have to wait out and pray that the med thing gets sorted and i can go on to my 14 weeks of hell :D
  15. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Off topic, but poor choice of words? :roll: