TA to leave Grantham........?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Sentinel, Mar 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Yesterday is was announced that army bases in Germany will close with all units moving back to the UK. It was published in this document:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/136406/regular_army_basing_plan.pdf

If you look at page 16 of that document it tells us that HQ 102 Logistic Support Brigade 1* will move from HQ Gütersloh Germany to Grantham in 2015.

So, what does that mean for the TA? where do we go next? The rumours I keep on hearing are that training will be carried out on a regional basis - but the question is, where? If the regular army have crammed out every garrison and training area available in the UK, where will the TA do basic training, courses etc. ?

2. PWOG barracks in Grantham can easily swallow a 1* Bde HQ with little or no effect on the TA use of it. The only problem I can see is the single & married accommodation. When I last visited, shortly after the new cookhouse was opened, the quarters & single accommodation were very basic to say the least!

Many unhappy soldiers & families to come? Probably.

• Like Like x 1
  3. You'll be able to brush up on your faux German mit pommes!

4. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

big empty raf base quarters not so far away isn't there? on the a46.

5. Fair bit of room there.

6. The driver training area is ripe for a bit of urban development...

7. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

What, and lose the Mil Trg Wing's favourite 'backdoor training area' :) ?

PWOG may be somebody's idea of heaven but it was never mine - turning it ALL into offices for dotcom startups would suit me fine....

8. Can't imagine PWOG being anyone's idea of heaven!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

9. Loads of room there for a comcen swinger club and a few new glory holes, it might be worth practicing saluting and not looking like a complete bag of shit though!

10. You would be better off turning the shithole into a target range for trident

• Like Like x 2
  11. The state of PWOG aside, what effect will being posted to Grantham have on morale?

No doubt the town would benefit from the influx of squaddies.

12. Yes, they can all meet the Duchess.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Don't think Swindleby is up for much in the way of inhabitation.

14. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

160, 168 and others are going to be binned, so there will be loads of space. We are going Regional from 2015 anyway, so it's no great shakes.

15. I think the staff of a Log Bde is at most 50 or 60 strong and there are probably more military staff already there with HQ RLC TA, the training units and the TA Regts. Given the proximity of Cranwell, Barkstone Heath, Coningsby and Cottesmore, you would imagine that many current and former crabs live around there anyway. I would have thought the bigger impact might be the three major units in Cottesmore.