• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

TA terms of service/ terms of employment.

Are these provided in a legally binding document at the time of attestation as they would be in a civvy job when an employment contract is signed?

msr said:
Queen and Country.
Yes, very good. I seem to recall last time receiving something about "call out in the uk under orders of secretary of state for defence but call out for war needing Royal Command " etc.

There must be something surely?

EX_STAB said:
msr said:
Queen and Country.
Yes, very good. I seem to recall last time receiving something about "call out in the uk under orders of secretary of state for defence but call out for war needing Royal Command " etc.

Reserve Forces Act 1996 and TA Regs.

msr said:
EX_STAB said:
msr said:
Queen and Country.

Reserve Forces Act 1996 and TA Regs.
Are the TA regs in the public domain?

When you get attested, one of the bits of paper you sign indicates that you have been given and have read and understood the "Notice Paper" (its a green form) this is a very difficult document to understand for the layman, and I dont think it has been updated post RFA 96 or post going to 12 year sign ons (still talks about 3 years).

It tells you the basics but not all the details, and as msr hints, the TACOS seem to be able to be changed without any debate and any choice other than to leave or not to sign up again (now every 12 years).

Rocket_Scientist said:
When you get attested, one of the bits of paper you sign indicates that you have been given and have read and understood the "Notice Paper" (its a green form) this is a very difficult document to understand for the layman, and I dont think it has been updated post RFA 96 or post going to 12 year sign ons (still talks about 3 years).

It tells you the basics but not all the details, and as msr hints, the TACOS seem to be able to be changed without any debate and any choice other than to leave or not to sign up again (now every 12 years).
Does rather sound as though it ought to be squared away properly.

Rocket_Scientist said:
I was given one of these when I attested into the OTC. It was only two sides of A4 and didn't really tell me anything...

RFA 96 is here: http://www.opsi.gov.uk/ACTS/acts1996/ukpga_19960014_en_1

EX_STAB said:
msr said:
Queen and Country.

If a recruit has not got a very good idea when they are signing their attestation papers, then they have to be willfully ignorant.

In my case, I "knew" it would be warm sandy beaches, paragliding and discos :x

Rocket_Scientist said:

Agreed, it has been raised as an issue. However with money being short I doubt the MoD can afford to print new forms.

WhiteHorse said:
Agreed, it has been raised as an issue. However with money being short I doubt the MoD can afford to print new forms.
No ? They seem to have managed to update quite a number and create some new ones tho. The average work-ticket appears to grow new bits of paper to tick or sign every time I see a vehicle.

Bottom line is actually that the paperwork associated with joining up is massively over-complex. How many signatures, how many pages ? A huge waste of everyones time. That MOD cannot even keep core publications like TA Regs updated in line with legislation is farsical.

saladin said:
Bottom line is actually that the paperwork associated with joining up is massively over-complex. How many signatures, how many pages ? A huge waste of everyones time. That MOD cannot even keep core publications like TA Regs updated in line with legislation is farsical.
Or even in line with JPA...

The TA is being badly let down by its most senior grown-ups, who do not have a grip of what is being proposed, discussed, promulgated or implemented.

msr

Ex-Stab et al, if you haven't already read it, this topic ties in rather nicely with the C1 debate and numerous other 'discussions' on whether we have a contract or not. Repeat, we do have a contract. Out

saladin said:
WhiteHorse said:
No ? They seem to have managed to update quite a number and create some new ones tho. The average work-ticket appears to grow new bits of paper to tick or sign every time I see a vehicle.

My point is that there are hundreds of boxes of forms up and down the country that will get used up at some point, works tickets et al, are used up rather more often.

oldcolt said:
Ex-Stab et al, if you haven't already read it, this topic ties in rather nicely with the C1 debate and numerous other 'discussions' on whether we have a contract or not. Repeat, we do have a contract. Out
I started this thread as a spin off from the C1 thread.

So is a copy of the contract available? Find it hard to believe it's not in the public domain.

EX_STAB said:
oldcolt said:
I started this thread as a spin off from the C1 thread.

So is a copy of the contract available? Find it hard to believe it's not in the public domain.
As MSR has already said, the paperwork is all over the place and woefully out of date. However from my rudimenatry training in the law of contract as part of my civvy exams (I'm NOT a lawyer tough) we clearly have a written and or/ or implied contract evidenced by established principle and the existing paperwork/ regulations etc. I stand by to be corrected

Latest Threads