TA Structure

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by bigdaddy, May 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm looking to keep my hand/get a few quid by joining the TA. I have my eye on a local infantry unit but have a few questions:

I'm ex AGC, 5 years experience, class 1 and would like to do an all arms infantry course.

Saying that, I can see how my AGC experience might be more useful to the unit. Particulary as the unit may be deploying to Afghan. I assume a deployable experienced clerk might be more useful than a newly trained infantry soldier if the unit are short on clerks.

How strict are the roles in the TA? Could I, in essence be 'dual trained' if I get in, or would I have to pick one or the other?
  2. Not sure about other units but my company was crying out for an AGC clerk - so much so that the girl that took the job went from private to corporal in 3 years!
  3. Any infantry coy would jump at an AGC clerk, and I suspect they'd love to send you to CIC. Go and see your local inf coy, you won't regret it.
  4. It's not the Regular Army, where you get given a range of choices and are "persuaded" into one. With the TA you get to choose what you want to do. If they only offer AGC when you desperately want to be an infantryman then it's a case of "Thank you very much and I'll see what the unit over the road offer".

Alternatively, tell them you'll transfer to the AGC once you're through CIC. Which means you get away from all the niff-naff-triv of being in an infantry company, but on every company exercise, ensure that you're the spare man in a section. Just have to make sure that you keep your infantry skills uptodate.