TA Specialist

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by girl_in_green, Oct 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. I've been a STAB for almost 6 years but due to changes in my civvie job I can no longer regularly attend tuesday nights. I'm also bored and looking for a change. I'm thinking about transferring to a TA Specialist unit; possibly Psyops, CIMIC, RMP, Int or even RLC (if I get desperate). However there is very little information about them on the web. Can anyone shed any light on possible roles within these units or entry criteria?

    I'm a junior rank and although I've been pushed to get a commission I have no intention of doing so.
  2. msr

    msr LE

    Chose one and phone them up and ask.


  3. MSR how could you ? She sounds like an asset to any unit :roll:
  4. have a bit of self respect for your,e self and others dont call your self stab ! do you think people on ops call themselfs stabs because i didnt come on rub your two cells together and think about it :x
  5. The_Duke

    The_Duke LE Moderator

    So she posts a literate, reasoned argument, with correct spelling and punctuation, and you have the nerve tell her to rub her two cells together?

  6. Get fucked. STAB is a badge of Honour.
  7. I was always proud to call myself a STAB ...

    Re Specialist Units, I wouldn't recommend CIMIC unless you are an Officer or a SNCO.

    Can't comment on any of the others (although I'm unaware of an Int Specialist Units) .... I stand by to be corrected ...

    People I've met from PSY OPS seem to be an alright bunch
  8. Well I did it was all part of the ARAB/STAB banter and only one person got the hump over the whole thing and he was a retread flute player(reg)
  9. cpunk

    cpunk LE Moderator

    I think you'll find that most Int Corps, RMP and RLC TA units aren't 'specialist' TA in the sense that they do drill nights just like the rest of the TA. Psyops, CIMIC and MOG (and a few others) are specialist with a reduced training commitment but, often, a much greater imperative to go on ops.
  10. There are contact details on the Army website here
  11. http://www2.army.mod.uk/royalengineers/org/mwfv/index.htm

    ...particularly if you've a related transferable skill. Call the number at the link or pm me for more info if you think it might suit. Definitely no drill nights!
  12. Don't worry about this for the Int Corps, there are quite a few who can't make weekday training and it's not an issue. From Aldershot your nearest TAC would be central London, and you'd be looking at 3 MI rather than our recently departed Northern colleagues in 5.

    Oh, and don't become a monkey unless you want to be hated and shop all your old mates for a stripe. You get to do security properly in the Corps anyway - if you like that sort of thing and padlocks turn you on.

    The Int Corps and TA websites are frankly crap if all you want to do is find a contact number, so I'll save you the bother - 0207 611 3912 which (fingers crossed) should be working. If it isn't then try 01462 752427 which is the general Int Corps inquiry number, they will be able to give you a steer.
  13. STAB and proud!