TA Soldiers Not Fit Enough To Fight In Iraq

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by msr, Jul 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Volunteer soldiers in the Territorial Army are being sent to fight in Iraq even though they are not physically fit enough, it has emerged.

More than 12,000 reservists have served in Iraq since 2003 - and five have died - helping the overstretched regular forces who need their support.

But commanders in the field have complained that some reservists are not up to the required physical standards for the job.

MPs have urged the Government to offer would-be TA recruits cut-price gym passes to prevent more being signed up who are unable to pass basic fitness tests.

2. engr172

engr172 Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Conservative defence spokesman Gerald Howarth said: "The Government has spent £66m on lawyers' fees for the Saville Bloody Sunday Inquiry, but has cut the TA to the bone.

"That says everything about the part-time Defence Secretary's commitment to the armed forces."

A quote from Sky. have to say he is right
  3. msr

msr LE

Nick Harvey, the Lib Dem defence spokesman, said: "It is unacceptable for reservists to be treated as the Army's poor relations.

"The TA, sucking on the hind tit since 1907"

4. Didn't you hear? The Government is already taking steps to improve the health of TA soldiers by putting a tax on pies and sticky buns:

This coupled by the continuing ineptitude of JPA to pay us correctly means that we won't be able to afford the costly pasty and chips lifestyle that we have grown so fond of :(
  5. Smoke and mirrors, are half of the regular army fit enough ? How many are on an orange BPFA pass ?

and what this cock about the HAC ?
  6. Beat me to it. Loads of the TA are fat but so are loads of the Regs. The only way around this is to ensure that standards are met and boot out the rejects. Harsh, but fair.
  7. The free/discounted gym pass will be a bonus, currently mine is £42 a month.
  8. There no way I'm giving up my 40 pie's a day habit....... 8)
  9. perhaps all municipal gyms and sports facilities should be free to those in the TA.
  10. this was actually on GMTV this morning

a former TA para says he thought alot of the TA soldiers mobilized to Iraq were fit enough and seem to get on ok with regs. He also suggested that there was better pay incentives like a pension for TA soldiers that had been in for awhile and also better bounties.

That isnt word for word, did anyone else see it?
  11. If only. But like other people have said, there are a lot of fat regs about too and they have gyms provided and from first hand experiance having been a reg for 9 years, more time to do phys in most cases.
  12. I think he was pointing out that the HAC did a deal with Holmes place (now Virgin) let let them build a gym on our (not MoD land) Where all members of the HAC get free membership as part of the deal. Great Gym 25m pool etc. :D
  13. On one hand, it is not impossible to get to PFT/CFT fitness without recourse to a gym - press-ups/sit-ups and running/combat marching hardly require mirrors, MTV and plastic pot plants. On the other, I thoroughly hate doing phys in my bedroom/living room (other than certain joint routines I do with Mrs D), and decent (and safe) facilities are far, far better as recognised by the regular Army. They aren't cheap, however, (even the council-run ones) and I think there is a good argument for a discount.

As far as the PAC report goes, having read it, and the list of questions put to ACDS (R&C) and his bittches, it is a pretty superficial scrape over the subject. That bloke Davidson is there again going on about the social background of TA officers and percentages LE etc. The PUS gets a pretty easy ride compared to the other, recent investigation. I assume Gerald charmed them.