Ta soldier too fat to transfer into the regular army

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by THEBIGYINN, May 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I am looking for a bit of advice and would be very interested to see if anyone else has had this issue.

I have been in the TA for four years, always pass my fitness tests and have good general health with no issues or concerns. The only thing is that my Body Mass Index is 34. I recently returned from a tour of Afghanistan and I have tried to join up full time. I have been told I need to loose 3 stone before I will be in a medical condition to join.

My response to that was hold on a minute. I was fit and healthy enough to deploy on operations with a regular company and deploy forward with an infantry battle group. All through pre deployment and tour I proved my worth. I got a gleaming report and recommendations from my OC and CO to join full time.

If you are fit enough to deploy and pass trained soldiers PT, why can't I join full time. Rant over the long and short of it is that I can loose a bit of weight but not near 3 stone. I wan't a second opinion or to be pointed in the right direction of someone medical who can argue my case.

Look forward to a reply,

Cheers

2. Loose weight then!

3. BMI does not help, what is your height and weight?

4. Does it matter? His BMI is too high.

5. Taking the pish is more fun if you have all the info, that's all!

6. Kinda big ain't ya honky! You didn't manage to lose three stone on tour?
    Deploy forward to where? Pizza Hut?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Move away from the pies, read the entry standards, accept them.

8. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Fixed it for you.

Seriously, go through your CoC that's what it's there for.

9. I did imagine there would be a hint of sarcasm following my post. I am 5ft 11 and about 17 stone. And before anyone else jumps on the band wagon I was in Nad-E-Ali with 1 lancs and was no camp Rat! I worked out of PB's and CP's and I worked with their Ops coy for a month. I lost a half a stone in six moths, ate and did the same work as others who lost more. Yes I am a little fat but fit, and there are plenty who get in the army who are the right weight but are no where near as fit as me evan after training. The contentious issue that I hope to argue with is why is someone fit and healthy to deploy but not to do the bits in between?

10. Understand your frustrations,

I take it that you are going through your application at an ACIO or an AFCO ?

Your application is a lot different from a potential recruits and Where your BMI could be an issue with any other application it should not be if you are transferring to the regular Army,

PM me for more advice and il be happy to tell you how to go about it......or run the gaunlett on here and get the piss ripped right out of you !

Hope this helps !

11. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

12. BMI is a farce but, having said that 17 f'in stone and 5ft11, you are either a body builder/rugby player etc or more than "a bit" fat!

For the sake of camparison, I am 5ft11, in my 40s, definately not small build/slim/skinny and weigh in at around 13 stone if I have had a good weekend of Beer and BBQs.

Take a look in the mirror and be honest with yourself.

13. The process is exactly the same with added requirements like CO's letters and 203 Special enlistment acceptance by MCM Div followed by the normal process. Medical requirements for a TA soldier joining is exactly the same as a normal applicant....the only way someone might of managed it differenly are those whos been accepted whilst out on tour and got in the back door way. Ive seen TA applicants been offered the chance to join Regulars whilst in Afghan but turn it down......a week or so after tour ended they decided to join but then get refused.

Regarding your BMI if your over 28 then your too high...exceptions will be made if its due to muscle and a rugby sports playing sort of guy where they will do the caliper test on your body fat so if you were around 28/29 BMI then its a possibility but ONLY A QUALIFIED MEDICAL STAFF AT ADSC will make that decision.

Anything over 30 BMI you haven't got much hope........you can't even apply for MPGS if over 32 BMI...so I think the advice from the ACIO is spot on.

Id still like to know how different his application is Flossy as he would still have to do the whole process plus the 203/COs letter

14. Mental note, Forastero does not get irony, even after almost 2000 posts...