TA Soldier to Officer

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Emkay, Feb 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right, I know that I am going to get a virtual shoeing for asking this but:

What is the application and training process when a TA soldier applies to become a TA officer? Is it the same as for someone who applies 'off the street'?

I have been told to expect two interviews with senior officers after which (assuming success) I will join a regional officer training corps for around a year with a view to eventually doing three weeks at Sandhurst.

At what point does a potential TA officer attend the TCB, is this after some time with the OTC or before they join the OTC?

Am I correct in thinking that the standards at the TCB are the same as RCB?

2. TCB? RCB? You're a bit behind the times... ;)

3. You go for an interview with the Adjt, then the CO and if he like the cut of you jib your thrown to the lions that is the Regional training Centre, who run the TAPO courses.

You will attend a selection weekend where they will assess whether you are a suitable candidate for the process.

You will then start you training with them, learning 7 Q's and that sort of stuff.

At some stage you will attend AOSB or ASBO as its affectionately known, who will assess you again, this is the biggy these guys will say yes or no to you going to sandhurst.

Then if you pass ASBO then you spend 3 weeks at sandhurst before commissioning as a brand new shiny one pip wonder :D

4. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

5. Many thanks to all who have responded. I passed the RCB briefing in 2006 and it would seem that this is also valid for the TA so I do not have to repeat this stage.

It looks as though the next stage is two interviews with senior officers, if I pass these it will be on to a regional OTC for 10-12 weeks.

I really enjoy my parade nights and hope that I can still train with my unit if and when I start attending the OTC.

6. I seem to remember in my battalion a few POs who wore a white tape on their epulettes while going through the process.

7. If thats the case then the first hard step is done.

You will still train with your parent unit on drill nights and weekends when not on TAPO training.

As soon as the CO and Adjt are happy and seeing as you've passed RCB then as soon as you start TAPO training then you will wear a white strip on you rank slide to denote that you an Officer Cadet.

8. I assume the OTC will book you onto a main board (AOSB)

dates are;

MB(TA) 143 22-24 Feb 08
    MB(TA) 144 25-27 Apr 08
    MB(TA) 145 9-11 May 08
    MB(TA) 146 6-8 Jun 08
    MB(TA) 147 20-22 Jun 08
    MB(TA) 148 18-20 Jul 08
    MB(TA) 149 15-17 Aug 08
    MB(TA) 150 7-9 Nov 08

9. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

The 2 subbies that heve recently completed training in my unit thought this, but the reality is that the TAPO course was very time intensive and you need to dedicate a lot of time to it. I did not see them very often, despite their good intentions.

Concentrate on your TAPO course, and look forward to getting back to your unit once you have commissioned.

10. Ah Duke you are all heart - slightly worried though you had the link to hand! Especially doing it the hard way over tea, tiffin and a sherry with a one star and his friends! :)

Cheers

11. Thanks, apparently the OTC involves every other weekend for about 10 months. It will probably be late this year or early 2009 before I get to do the main board.

12. Interesting. I suspect regiments do these things differently.

The yeomanry (RY) tended to keep the OCDTs in-house (usually as Tp Ldr's operator or similar) and just sent them out to training courses when required to do so.

13. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

John,

The system has changed a lot in the last few years, and is now all centrally controlled by RMAS. No completion of all modules at an RTC, no TACC.

14. Fair enough. I'm showing my age.

Shame really as the system worked well enough and we got troop leaders who knew their SOPs reasonably well having spent a year (or more) learning hide routines etc

15. Correctamundo.

In this centralised age of mobilisation support (and very little else) consistent training is apparently the aim. Officers are all now the responsibility of RMAS delegated to OTWs (as part of RTCs) across the country.

The problem is filling the places (see other threads) due to the pace, length and timing of the course - mainly FE students, unemployed or self employed candidates. The pipeline is currently shrinking and no-one really knows why......