TA soldier feels let down after being injured in Iraq

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Barrack Room Lawyer, May 16, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 'I had no support when I came home'
    The Ministry of Defence has pledged to improve the care for reservist troops called up to serve alongside regular forces.
    Scott Garthley was a Territorial Army soldier who served in Iraq.

Mr Garthley, from Northampton, was injured in a Scud missile attack on March 29 2003.

His spine, knees and shoulders were injured, and he has since had 13 operations.

He has felt he had to pay for all his own healthcare, because he was not entitled to fast-track military care because he was not a full-time soldier.

Mr Garthley still experiences post traumatic stress disorder and depression, and has developed insulin-dependent diabetes and high blood pressure.

He told the BBC: "When I returned to the UK, I felt I had no support from the Ministry of Defence in respect of my healthcare.

"The first time I had an appointment to receive army medical treatment wasn't until November, eight months after my original injuries."

'Civvy Street'

Mr Garthley said he had expected more help.

"In retrospect, I can see that I was naive. It was never discussed.

"Certainly, nobody really wanted to know when I came back."

Research, published in The Lancet on Tuesday, suggests reservist soldiers like Mr Garthley receive far less support and healthcare than full-time troops.

The paratrooper said: "I have come across regular soldiers who have not been treated much better.

"But as a regular, you do get the benefit of being at a garrison, with your friends and family, who are more used to the military life.

"While returning to civilian life, with people who can't understand what it's like to have gone through what you've gone through."

Mr Garthley said he had written to the MoD to ask about his treatment.

"I was TA who was mobilised as a regular, but I wasn't entitled to the fast-track medical care available to a regular.

"But I was doing the same job and so would have expected the same support, especially given the difficulties of going back to Civvy Street."

Mr Garthley, who is now disabled, earned a six-figure salary as human resources executive in a bank before his injuries.

"I used to run three miles, twice a day. Now I can't run at all. I can't even walk half a mile."

He added: "I wanted to go to Iraq. But I never expected to lose my life as a consequence."

I met this bloke when I was working on a recruitment weekend in Northampton last year, to be honest when he first started going on about being blown up by scud missles the "mitty" alarm started ringing, he was dressed in US pattern digital combat shirt and trousers as well and I really did think "yes mate of course you did" but it goes to show dont judge a book by its cover!

2. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

he's working in recruiting for the Mil? In US digi-kit? Seems wierder and wierder. Still, bloody awful example of treatment by the MOD.
  3. No, should of worded it differently :oops: , he was just ambling around and came wandering up to the stand I was working on because it was the FH that treated him.
  4. On soap box

Anyone injured on Operations Regualr or TA deserves the best medical treatment possible until physically fit or recovered as best as they ever will be.
    The bullets and missiles fired at them could not distinguish Reg from TA so what right do the MOD, the the services or anyone else have to do the very same.
    Like he said he had met Regulars who had been treated little better and there the problem lies - the MOD accepting responsibilty for the care, treatment and fair compensation of the injured who were just doing what was asked of them no matter from where they come.

Off soap box.

5. Are we sure this is right ? Must be an amazing HR person if he is on 6 figures ....has his firm sacked him then ?

Agree the treatment sound bad...
  6. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I knew an HR guy on about 115K 15 years ago - City banks do like to pay their guys and HR, like MP's, make sure they are at the top of the pay curve... Its amazing consider how little they do. Actually, I know a head HR guy in London now on about 150K +150K bonus.

But its not all interviewing staff, its process, metrics, retention, policy (UK, EU, current and expected), negotiating deals with private health providers, training budgets, compliance policy, deals with recruiters and all that. Ultimately, a Line Manager might be in charge of 50 staff but an HR guy is nominally responsible for the manager and his staff.
  7. Not that his civvy earnings are really anything to do with the issue here, but having mobilised and been posted to the same unit, I discussed with him before leaving the UK for Kuwait, his job role and responsibilities, it would indeed make the salary mentioned realistic. Fancy that a TA soldier in some kind of top job! I don't know what the situation is / was with his employers, but am well aware that he and others were well and truly shafted in the aftercare stakes.
  8. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Scuds... I thought the yanks splashed all of those, or was the local battery to busy locking up Tornado's?
  9. You mean that those concientious individuals in Glasgow who respond immediately to RFI and instantly rectify any problems that I may have, aren't paid this kind of money. Disgraceful.
  10. When I was working in a global VP grade with a Swiss Bank six figure salaries were the norm for everyone in that grade, even HR and we weren't the exception to the rule! There's also the bonuses which were always five figure sums too (and I left the City in 2002) so this is not even talking about head of group or division - what a bummer.
  11. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

VP... pah. I shite bigger...
  12. Back on my Planet Earth, when I worked in the Ovaltine factory it was the Personnel Manager that sacked me. He ran the factory and apparently going after your line manager with a two foot spanner was deemed the wrong attitude. The Personnel Manager was a very powerful bloke, highest paid in the factory, local councillor and a serial womanizer which I didn't find out until much later. Unfortunately.
  13. So does that mean you were an Ovaltinee then Mistersoft? :lol:
  14. Fcuk, I'm old but I'm not THAT old.

Common mistake to make.

I was covered in the shite stuff all day.