TA snipers?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by dev111, Nov 1, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey all

Just wondering if there are any oppourtunities to train as a sniper within TA infantry. I've looked around for this info but nothing came up. Cheers for any info :p

2. No you can do the sharpshooters course covers most of the sniper carde except stalking .But you can't do it unless your battalion has a role for them I was told that depends on your co having done a course ! On deploying snipers Though their was talk of having a sharpshooter in the fire support section ask your chain of command .

You should start making your ghillie suit know it took me longer too make it than i lastest on the carde :lol:

3. Wouldn’t you rather drive a nice Wolf landie around and stick up a few antennas? What is the fascination of being a bloomin Sniper? Its not big and its not clever!

4. Actually it is big and clever . Has anyone made a film about pie eating signallers i think not :lol: .You get too wear funny clothes bore people rigid at each opptunity .And give it the big un at every opptunity . It dosen't impress women in the slightest .

5. Broad Sword Calling Danny Boy ... Broad Sword Calling Danny Boy!

6. One line does not a movie make :)

7. cheers guys, I didn't previously think there was a role for them, but when watching a TA DVDROM there was a guy standing in an armoury talking, and there were sniper rifles behind him. If you complete the sharpshooter's course are you allowed the title 'sniper'? or are they totally different? sorry for being a bit thick on this subject but i haven't really been able to find much info. :D

8. The L96 Sharpshooters course is very good, it is run by IBS Brecon and taught by some excellent instructors. It not only provides good training for role but also will improve your overall shooting skill - it certainly did in my case.
    The only problem is that I did the course a year ago and havn't touched the L96 since depsite having 2 in our armoury! There is both shortage of match quality ammo and it would seem that most TA units do not have the knowledge to properly employ sharpshooters, but having said that I do know people who have used the weapon on ops and one of the coys in my bn has been developing a sharpshooter section. also rumors abound as to the future use of support assets in the new stucture. Heres hoping.

9. You can do the course .your not entitled to wear the sniper badge though .And unless your unit uses it may never get to use it again.

10. Last heard DInf was removing sniping & sharpshooting from the TA or at least thats what the letter with his address block said.

11. Some advice: If you do get on the course and make it through, it would be wise to shut up and not make a big thing of it unless you really want to lower other people's opinions of you. If you intend on using it as a title then you really will lose any respect. I have yet to address any soldier as Sniper <Insert name here> and I have a feeling I'm not going to any time soon. Be happy with that smug feeling that you are a sniper and try to be a good soldier instead and your mates will think a whole lot more of you.

12. Some advice: If you do get on the course and make it through, it would be wise to shut up and not make a big thing of it unless you really want to lower other people's opinions of you. If you intend on using it as a title then you really will lose any respect. I have yet to address any soldier as Sniper <Insert name here> and I have a feeling I'm not going to any time soon. Be happy with that smug feeling that you are a sniper and try to be a good soldier instead and your mates will think a whole lot more of you.

I think TA sharpshooter is different to sniper BTW.

13. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Aye, it's the same as the Reg Sharpshooter cse.
    The cses have been/are being run with mixed classes of Regs and Stabs.

14. I know a TA guy who did the Regular Sniper course ( and passed. ) The TA equivalent is the Sharpshooter Course, two weeks in sunny Brecon and a follow up / advanced course a year later?

Snipers/Sharpshooters are, IMO, generally ignored by TA OCs. They remain an incredibly potent and efficient method of both dominating the ground and interrupting the enemies decision making process - EVERY commander identifies himself in the field by pointing at the blokes he is talking to - "YOU do this, YOU do that."

Slot the right one and you hold up a Battlegroup for an hour at least.