TA Sigs- Officer or OR?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by bearing2012, Jan 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am looking at joining the TA probably in the summer (after I graduate) and would be grateful for some advice.

But my problem is if I should join as an officer or solider. My reason for joining to TA is to decide if I want to join the regulars in the future. If I did it would be as an officer but I feel that if I join the TA as a solider I could get a real feel as to what the job of the signals is. I think if I spent time as a solider then when it came to becoming an officer (if I am successful) I would be able to manage and lead better knowing what life is like at the bottom.

So I guess my main question is: what would be better to finding out what life in the Royal Signals is like- training to become an officer or as a solider?

I hope this doesn't come across as a wah and any help/experiences would be much appreciated.

2. WAH SHEILD ON

a few friends have done this, going in as a soldier whislt at uni and then going officer after in the regs. most seem to do well out of it to be fair :)

WAH SHEILD OFF

Mince.

3. I am joining my local golf club and wonder if I should run for the committee the same day that I join.

Join as a Sig and see if you like it. Assuming you do then, after a few months, tell your Troopie that you are thinking of applying for a commission and ask what the job's like, the time commitments involved compared to OR service and the rewards.

You will then be in a position to make an informed decision.

4. Join the AGC

5. and hope you don't get Sluggy as your Boss!!!

6. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

It is all about time frame. When are you considering applying for RMAS? If fairly soon, go for OR as you will get to "trained soldier" state relatively quickly and get to spend some time working in a TA unit while your regular application is processed.

If you don't expect to apply for Sandhurst for a few years, you will have time to go for a TA commission which could take up to 2 years to achieve from scratch. You have to ask yourself why, considering you will have very little experience of anything outside of the officer training environment before heading off to the officer training environment full time.

If you do decide that the army is the career for you, I would give serious thought to applying for RMAS sooner rather than later, because reductions in the size of the army will reduce intakes, and age may become more of a factor. Don't spend so long thinking about joining that you are then age barred from joining!

7. Thanks for the replies I will join as an OR gain some experience then decide. In terms of applying for RMAS I don't know when I would start applying I guess when I know if its what I want or not could be anything from weeks of starting to months. I've been looking at the TA Summer challenge which would be a possibility but depends when I finish university/graduate.