TA service

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by scrubbyt, Nov 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi,
    i am 18 and interested in joining my local TA unit, more specifically b company 6th battalion the rifles.
    however im taking a degree for the next 3 years at my local college in public services, after completion i aim to spend some time in the regular army before moving on to the police.
    the question i need answered is; is being called out on duty optional? as i would like to join but do not want to be called out in the next 2 and a half years as it will prevent me doing my degree which is costing me about £3000.
    my friend in the TA says tours are voluntary but want to check.
    i dont want to waste anybodys time so if my CO will most likely get annoyed at me because of this i'd like to know.

*would like to add i will happily serve after these 2 and a half years wen i have my degree, i do not want to join the TA and completely avoid touring, just for the next 2 years
  2. Your friend is correct.

Also a student you cannot be called up. This is due to the armys inability to supply enougth lentils and potnoodle to the front line.
  3. At the moment TA operational service is by "intelligent mobilisation" - they picked the word "intelligent" because it clearly isn't applicable so is obviously just a replacement for "voluntary". They don't need to stick to this, though.

I understand there is also a standing exemption from compulsory mobilisation, for people in full-time education (although I don't have the reference.) This would probably not apply to s52 mobilisation but then, if the UK is attacked, I suspect you'd want to muck in.
  4. thanks alot for the answers guys. my local TA evening is tonight at 7 so ill pop along thanx for fast answers

@ polar - u made me lol haha dont soldiers get pot noodles? i though i saw prince harr with on when on operation but hey hes royalty