TA SERVICE IN N.I

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by u_didnt_c_me_i_wasnt_ther, Nov 23, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. HI TROOPS, I WONDER IF YOU COULD HELP, A FRIEND OF MINE IS CURRENTLY SERVING IN THE TA AND IS INTERESTED IN SERVING IN N.I.HE WAS TOLD BY HIS UNIT THAT HE COULDN'T AS HE IS TA.
    IM A REGULAR(BE GENTLE) AND HAVE SERVED IN N.I WITH A COUPLE OF LADS THAT WERE TA. HE ALSO SAID THAT HIS TROOPIE IS IN N.I AT THE MO AND HES NOT EX REG EITHER.
    I,VE DONE ABIT OF DIGGING AROUND FOR HIM AND GAVE HIM THE NO FOR MCM DIV, HE PHONED THEM AND THEY SAID HE HAD TO BE EX REGULAR, FUNNY REALLY AS HE WAS MOBILISED FOR THE WAR IN IRAQ AND HAS DONE SEVERAL TOURS OF BOS.
    HE IS NOT EX REG SO THEY SAY HE CANT GO, THE LADS I WORKED WITH WERE NOT EX REG EITHER,
    SO I HAVE TURNED TO ARRSE FOR HELP AS I KNOW THAT THERE WILL BE SOMEONE OUT THERE THAT KNOWS THE ANSWER.
    IF YOU CAN HELP THEN CHEERS AND I WILL PASS ON YOUR COMMENTS AS HE DOESN'T OWN A FIZZBOX.

2. msr

msr LE

TURN THE CAPS LOCK OFF!

msr

3. He can't mobilise for NI, he can however look at the units that are going to NI, look at which ones have FTRS vacancies, and apply that way. I know of lads who've served with both the Staffs and the RGBW through this way.

FTRS is not the same as voluntary mobilisation.

Bear in mind though, that he will be attched to that unit, not the theatre, so if that unit's plans change, his have to change along with it (i.e. if they get short toured, so does he).

He needs to speak to his PSI.

4. As my, abeit limited understanding goes.

He can't serve on IS duties in NI as a TA soldier, he could however serve in an ACIO or Regional HQ.

This isn't the end of it however, if he wanted to serve he could do so by means of an S type engagement. Then effectively he'd be a regular and that would be fine.

I don't know what the ex-regular angle is, but how about the fact that they are Regular Reservists, rather than Volunteer Reservists and so different elements of the RFA and associated legislation apply

5. I thought FTRS had now replaced the S type engagement (for new joiners, rather than those already on it)? I think the change over was completed sometime in 2000.

Will try and contact the lads I knew, but they were certainly patrolling the streets rather than acting as clerks - I'll try and find out, but haven't spoke to them in a while.

If he can contact Chilwell, they might be of some help.

6. I'm from NI and served with both the regs and the UDR.

He can't do any IS engagements with the TA - period! The TA do not do any IS work.

If he wants to serve in NI and do IS he will either have to live there and join RIR Home Service (which is being disbanded in 2007) or join the regs.

Postings to TA units in NI as instructors or staff or to ACIO are like hens teeth so I'd say he has about as much chance as a snowball in hell of getting one of those cushy numbers.

7. From DCI Army 74 2004

Service in Northern Ireland
    10. Members of the TA and Regular Reserve are precluded from Internal Security (IS) duties. Accordingly,
    no reservist may serve on, or in support of, operations in NI whilst on FTRS. Reservist personnel already
    serving on FTRS with units which are warned for NI duties are either to be posted, retained in the unit
    rear party or offered the opportunity to seek a Short Service Volunteer Commission (SSVC) or enlist on a
    Special Type S Engagement (SSE). Units warned for NI duties which have members of the TA and Regular
    Reserve serving with them should seek advice from the APC. Other employment not involved with IS
    duties, for example as an Army Careers Officer (ACO) or working in HQ 107 (Ulster) Bde is permissible.
    Details of SSEs are contained in Reference E and of SSVCs in Reference F. At the end of an operational tour
    in NI, TA and Regular Reserve personnel are to revert to their previous Reserve status and may complete
    any outstanding portion of an FTRS commitment. Those individuals serving in posts in NI that are open
    to FTRS are entitled to NIRS.

Edited to say; I was off on the Regular Reservist bit, but having spent 3 years on FTRS at least some of the details had to have sunk in.

8. MANY THANKS FOR YOUR INFO SO FAR,JUST TO ADD SOME MORE INFO,HE IS IN THE RLC AS A DRIVER SO DOING IS WORK WOULD PROBABLY NOT BE IN HIS REMIT,DOES THIS INFO HELP.

9. msr

msr LE

PRESS THE KEY MARKED CAPS LOCK ONCE BEFORE YOU TYPE OTHERWISE YOU ARE SHOUTING!

msr

10. Hey leave him alone - he might be a WO2 ;)

11. sorry turned the caps lock off now,didn't mean to shout

12. Several years ago a guy I knew in my ta unit .Did a tour of ni and ended up medical discharge after he got bricked
    He was an ex regular so not sure how he got out there .But know sevral old and bold who been to NI while in the ta .So either the rules have changed or they are being bent .Doubt there is any where to go apart from afganistian Iraq as peace has broken out in NI :lol: hasent it ?

13. They could also have been spinning you a yarn. Every TA soldier I have ever met has been in more firefights in Northern Ireland than I ever saw or heard of.

14. theres no need to shout :wink:

A lad from my sqn went to NI in the brick on a s type. that was a good few years ago now but it can be done.

15. from what understand from those i have spoken to , it is mostly 90% tedium contant patrolling some probably have never seen anything more than the odd lobbed brick.