TA Selection

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by JohnDutch, Jan 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

Can anyone tell me how hard the selection process is to get into the TA and how long does it take. Also is this done near to your local unit, plus do you get full freedom of choice as to which unit you join?

Any (sensible) info would be most appreciated.

2. selection process? The only sort of selection is where you want to go
  3. The process is to firstly choose a unit relatively close that interests you http://www.armyjobs.mod.uk/TerritorialArmy/ go to the "TA near you" section and put in your postcode.

You need to be healthy and have a basic level of fitness. You will be required to fill in a few forms and have a medical. This could take anything from a week to several weeks depending on all sorts of things.

You will then be attested and can start your training. This involves several weekends teaching you to be a soldier then a variety of different courses. Then after all that you may get paid!! :lol:
  4. I did loads of training before getting attested, 7 of us from my squadron did all the RRTT stuff before we were attested.
  5. Tutt tutt. You are technically not covered by insurance if you take part in any activities before attestation, and the DS would be liable to be sued if you were injured. The only exception is if you do an "experience the Army" weekend when you are covered for a limited time.
  6. We weren't told that, but it's done now, and I'm attested and moved on to the BSTT
  7. qui_audet_vincit - Don't get me wrong - I am sure it goes on but I met a lot of resistance when trying to get on a course quickly and had not been attested. But hey, good luck to you. :)
  8. On insurance you can be "experiencing" the Army prior to Attestation and covered for a number of occasions - not just one weekend. It is also possible to backdate some pay for that time following attestation although I would suggest you check both things out with your PSAO.

There are however limitations on what it is possible to do with people before the hold a meaningful book moment. TAFS or Recruits course are not covered.

9. What sort of course were you trying to get on? We only did the regimental ones, 7 of us turned up one Tuesday night for the first time and were told we had TAFS1 on the weekend and did we want to go
  10. TAOCC.
  11. TAOCC which one is that? Do you mean the DETAPO course? or the actual sandhurst 3 weeker?
  12. DETAPO is called TAOCC here.
  13. Thanks very much for answering my questions