TA SELECTION WEEKEND AT GRANTHAM BARRACKS

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by sexbomb1972, Sep 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. :omfg:

I am off to grantham at the end of the month for this selection weekend.
    What should i expect?
    What should i bring?
    As being a complete novice will the ta recruits all sleep in one room?
    males and females?
    I am really looking forward to it
    but my h****** does not like it one bit and yesterday shouted at me saying i hope you fail!!!!!
    nice
    thanks for reading

:D

2. I've been in far too long to give you accurate advice on what is going to happen, but males and females will be seperate (with stern warnings on being in each others accomodation).

Its good that you are looking forward to it. Treat it as the Army looking at your suitability, but also the Army's suitability for you. I don't think you can fail this type of thing. Its either for you or not for you.

Well done on making the first (and hardest) step of joining the Army and I sincerely hope it is the right thing for you but would leave you with one bit of advice...

Remember the following priorities:
    1. Your family
    2. Your civilian employment
    3. The Army

Best of luck :-D

3. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

28 man/woman rooms.
    Bring clothes that you're happy to wear under a pair of overalls.
    Males in one block, females in another.
    No major dramas, you'll have your medical and be attested.
    You'll need a padlock.

Hope this helps :D

4. :?
    So what does the weekend entale?
    As i was told to get up there for 9pm on the friday night.
    I replied was it pick a bunk night, no answer came back.
    Will they have a sense of humour when i get up there?
    As they will certainly need it, the sight of me running around with shorts!!hehehehehehe
    What does saturday night entale?
    Given half the chance that would be 7 pints of john smiths.

thanks for reading this
    :pc:

5. :?
    Are there a lot of women who join up to the ta?
    Are there any larger ladies?
    I am just worried in case they have run out of triple xxx trousers.hehehhehehehehe.
    :donut:
    thanks for reading this

6. Sixty

Pitch up at PWOG Bks between 1800-2200 and spend Friday night in the NAAFI.

The Saturday will involve whatever they have time to do. Probably a bit of off-road driving and the DCCT (dismounted close combat trainer) whilst waiting for the doctor. You'll then have your weight and height taken, eyesight and hearing tests, quick chat with the nurse who'll do colour blindness checks and after that you'll see the doctor. After this, assuming that you're healthy, you'll be attested.

Home on Sunday.

7. Is your selection weekend your TAFF's 1 or 2? if it aint i didnt have one if that was the case, oh well better you than me boyo :). And the lasses dont get attached, go in with the army attitude, dont drift off.

8. Tell the discouraging git to get his arse along too. Is he always this supportive when you try and achieve something?

Well done for having a go. But it's a lot better to have the support of the other half. I'd be tactical and get him onside.

9. :frustrated:
    I am still waiting for a letter from the recruitment office on what i have to bring with me and whether i am in TAFF's 1 or 2.
    That is taff 1 or 2?
    I am totally in dark about everything,
    what to expect, the recruitment office seem a bit in the dark about it.
    Should i be worried?
    I am half expecting me to be the only woman turning up,lol.
    Thanks for helping
    :omfg:

10. :?
    what is the difference between taff 1 or 2?
    thanks.
    hubby wants me at home to warm his slippers and look after the kids.FULL STOP.

hehehhehehehhe
    :eek:

11. Must admit I jacked it when the kids appeared. Running a business, wife and kids is a big ask timewise.

12. Sixty

When is it mate? 7th October and 11th November are both TAFS 1 as far as I'm aware.

13. You could always man up and come to the APWT weekend with my types Sixty...

14. :?

29th september to 1st october :headbang: :oops:
    :twisted:

15. I wouldn't be at all supprised if you were the only woman there. There was one girl on my last weekend and i think two on the one before that.

My first selection weekend some years ago was PT, tick test, various intelligence tests, an interview, teamwork kind of stuff, various lectures and videos and a massive piss up on the saturday night where we had to do kareoke (sp?) kind of stuff.

The one i did few weeks ago was very different. We did drill, kit issue, an interview with the Major, tick test, medicals, a video and a couple of lectures as well as the 1.5 mile run, press ups and sit ups.