TA Selection - Talk To Me...

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by CamNostos, Sep 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Currently going through the process of joining the TA after leaving the Regs a couple of years back, have done Med/BARB and am waiting for 203 to come back from Glasgow (...).

I have settled on a Det I would like to join and been in to see them - however, the AFCO who is handling my application have said I must attend a 'One day Selection'. Sounds pretty ******* bone but fair enough - the icebreakers should be hilarious.

Cutting to the chase; has anyone been on one of these recently? Are they typically on a weekend (favourable)? Where are they located - I hope its Chilwell as I'm only down the road!

Thanks in advance.

2. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

It is the old 2 day selection course cut to one day because you have done the medical and BARB before you go. Ice breakers, command tasks, confirmation that you can learn by being taught a simple military theory lesson then being tested on it, and the basic physical tests of risk reduction run, bag lift and jerry can walk. They are to a common standard (Regular and TA, theoretically) so you could attend a "Regular" one during the week or a "TA" one at the weekend.

As an ex-reg you will of course shine by modestly supporting the other people in your syndicate who may find it slightly more testing than you do, rather than spending the day gobbing off and sneering at the whole thing!

• Like Like x 2

3. Thank you for the advice, anything on location?

4. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

No. Anything North of Watford (Note: Watford, not the Watford Gap) is heathen territory and marked on the map as "Here be paupers", and as such is studiously avoided.

5. Ah, another 'Learned Southerner'. Substantiate that claim by declining the root noun for 'pauper' in Latin including the ablative and dative cases, person and tense. You have five mikes from the time of this post or I shall consider your comment retracted due to lack of linguistic aptitude befitting a self proclaimed scholar such as yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  6. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

I never claimed to be a scholar, just a person with a dislike of the north. The two are unrelated.

7. You 'studiously avoided' my challenge... fair enough.

8. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

You live in the north - why should I care about any challenge you might issue?

The only people able to give you chapter and verse on your selection day are your ACIO or the TA unit you wish to join. They will know which ADSC they send applicants to from your area, and will load you onto it once your 203 has been cleared. Don't hold your breath for the 203.

9. What an arbitrary judgement to make, cardinal directions can be so polarizing - just as well this is the internet eh?

Thanks for the advice though. I would like to hear from anyone who has recently completed this process in the Midlands, specifically where did they have to go?! I have spoken to my AFCO but they are poorly equipped to furnish me with any definite answers as I am the first TA re-joiner they have had since this change was implemented.

10. Anything above York seems to come to us at Glencorse