TA Seaman 3 Course

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by TAtkins, Jun 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone tell me anything about the RLC TA Seaman 3 course.ce
    JI's very sparse.
    Looking forward to doing it but would like an idea of what to expect, format, subjects covered.

2. Thought this was a thread about becoming a donor!
  3. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Just a rough shot in the dark, but I imagine it will involve boats, water, scraping decks, lots of big bits of string and more scarping of decks.
  4. Funny thing, the english language. Very unfortunate how seaman sounds the same as semen. Must be the most unfortunately named trade in the army! I've head that sometimes you have to go out in to the harbour and pick up a buoy, which could also be taken the wrong way too. Any way gives the rest of the army a chuckle.

I guesed it would involve boats, ropes and cleaning.
    Just wondered if it covered stuff like collision regs, buoyage, shapes & sounds, signal flags, morse etc? and whether it was on RIBS, Landing Craft or Workboats?
  5. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Been a very long time since I was involved in anything like that, the blasted new-fangled steam engine had just come in to ruin things, but, a friend of mine did the course, when it was the good old RASC, and involved all those hings you mentioned, with extra emphasis on Collision regs, etc for watchkeeping quals.
  6. have you considered joining the Royal Navy at all? :D
  7. Being RLC TA would probably involve eating pies, on weekends at sea
  8. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

You get to drive Mexefloats around Marchwood and to Nettley bhoys a lot. And Hang around with big blokes adorned with '70's throwback moustaches. Cross train how to be a Port Op and learn to thieve from the scousers who make up 165 Regt.
  9. FFS Command_doh opsec man opsec!!!! :D