TA RSigs cuts good or bad

So was it needed

• No, an unecessary cull

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Not made up my mind 100%. I anticipated this but reality is not nice to deal with.

We are now going to be trained correctly not extending the cold war skills, equipment levels back to normal not just some token kit issues.

So a needed change?

I voted yes. I transfered out of the TA Sigs years ago because I realised pretty quickly that we were using equipment that was outdated before I was born and that when the mobilisations started I wanted to be doing something relevant to a trade, not just a dogsbody. A big shame because there is a great fraternity amongst the Siggies and a social scene that is seldom found in other capbadges.

Fraid I vote yes, it's necessary, we're in a new world now with not much time for sentiment or nostalgia. It is pretty shabby the way it's all been handled by the men in grey suits though.

What a waste of money and resources. Its about time the Army did the right thing and got rid of the equipments that it didn't need and used the money where it matters - at the front line supporting the soldiers on the ground!!!

obwan said:
What a waste of money and resources. Its about time the Army did the right thing and got rid of the equipments that it didn't need and used the money where it matters - at the front line supporting the soldiers on the ground!!!
Like the 18,000 tours that the TA have done in the last 6 years you mean?

msr

just a dogsbody. A big shame because there is a great fraternity amongst the Siggies and a social scene that is seldom found in other capbadges.

The above statement says it all

The Signals TA is nothing short of a weekend gentlemans club, the equipment is ancient (the modern Army deserve the new equipment)
There is no actual role for the Signals TA anymore with increasing advances in communications technology your Euromuxe's and clansman are not needed.

Why should the Government waste money on ensuring you can have an exclusive drinking club when in actual fact the money could be put to better use equiping front line regular soldiers.

Please dont harp on about how many TA Signallers have done tours here there and everywhere, its all to easy to do the hard stuff for a few months then go home with the medal you were so desperate to get.

Why am I saying these harsh words?......because I served as an SPSI for a long time and saw first hand what the TA did and what equipment there was to hand.

I bet you had a great 2 years :roll:

VANDAMME said:
.because I served as an SPSI for a long time and saw first hand what the TA did and what equipment there was to hand.
When? 1960s?

msr

VANDAMME said:
The Signals TA is nothing short of a weekend gentlemans club, the equipment is ancient (the modern Army deserve the new equipment)
There is no actual role for the Signals TA anymore with increasing advances in communications technology your Euromuxe's and clansman are not needed.

Why am I saying these harsh words?......because I served as an SPSI for a long time and saw first hand what the TA did and what equipment there was to hand.
So in your broad experience and knowledge....

Q1. When did the Regular component of the Royal Corps' cease to use Euromux?

Q2. When did the Regular component of the Royal Corps' cease to use Clansman?

VANDAMME said:
what planet are you on? Yes the social side is strong and the equipment was old but the modern TA Sigs is nothing like you describe. Its crap because the kit is old??? No civilian skills far outway that

Gentlemen please do not feel the urge to defend yourselves so vigorously

I have seen for my eyes and from my experiences TA units that do not even posses a green vehicle
Those units are neither covert or special forces so how can they justify being "military"

Get off your high yeomanary horses and accept the fact that the Government has seen sense at last

The_Duke

LE
msr said:
obwan said:
Like the 18,000 tours that the TA have done in the last 6 years you mean?

msr
And of that 18,000 how many have been R Sigs cap badge? And does that number reflect a contribution equal to their numbers as part of the overall TA?

We all know the second question is rhetorical...

VANDAMME said:
Why ever not?

I have seen for my eyes and from my experiences TA units that do not even posses a green vehicle
Those units are neither covert or special forces so how can they justify being "military"
Well, I come from a unit that doesn't even have a white fleet vehicle to call its own. So what? Surely what matters is what operational capability you can deliver (whether or not that capability is front and centre in the current operational environment - in fact, surely capabilities that are less significant in the current paradigm but are still needed in the overall orbat are one of the things the reserves are ideal for?) Oh, just for info, the vehicle I am driving on ops isn't green either.

Get off your high yeomanary horses and accept the fact that the Government has seen sense at last
You must be thinking of other signallers and some other country's government. Or are you just upset that some units in the Corps have smarter uniforms than the Regs do?

The WWIII capability was obsolete and needed to go. Whether the regiments needed to go with the kit is worth a discussion. Whether the people will need to go with the regiments is still to be seen.

But then shafting the reserve is (relatively) politically painless (c.f. the RNR losing their ships in the 1990s).

Idrach said:
But then shafting the reserve is (relatively) politically painless (c.f. the RNR losing their ships in the 1990s).
That'll be the minesweepers then...

VANDAMME said:

Every post you seem to be either on the wind up, or displaying your complete lack of knowledge of the Corps.

Care to answer my previous questions? When did Euromux and Clansman cease to be used by the Regs?

And when did you serve with the TA?

msr

P.S. Read your PMs

Excuse me if I'm missing something obvious, but when did the TA ever actually get to choose what kit they had, Vandamme? Are you telling me that if I wanted to ensure that my troops had enough FFRs/CSTs/Centrals etc that it was entirely within my grasp to go and acquire the kit? :x

FFS you might have been an SPSI (though I rather doubt it given the complete mong juice you are spouting), but it's obvious that whatever is bouncing around in your exceptionally solid cranium, it doesn't include a scoobys about how military procurement works.

Oh and last time I looked at the TA R Signals Orbat, there are many units which don't have the remoteness yeomanary connection.

Please, stop dribbling before you drown yourself.

I am not too sure what he is on about, i have served as a PSI and also an SPSI and quite recently too, and even got bitched at for what others thought was going native, but the fact was i actually worked with 'some' of the best guys i had ever worked with whilst at the TA.

And for what it is worth the unit i was with made a TN from 16 Sigs look like complete muppets when we were mistaken for them, not only were the TA troop far more professional but they actually looked the part.

Regardless of what happens, there are a great many soldiers in the RSigs TA that are every bit as professional as their regular counterparts and i enjoyed my time with them thoroughly and i like to think i actually learnt just as much from my time with them as i have done in the last 22 years i have served.

And yes i am thinking of sacking the LSL job i am in now and going over to the TA :D

fivetodo said:
I am not too sure what he is on about, i have served as a PSI and also an SPSI and quite recently too, and even got bitched at for what others thought was going native, but the fact was i actually worked with 'some' of the best guys i had ever worked with whilst at the TA.

And for what it is worth the unit i was with made a TN from 16 Sigs look like complete muppets when we were mistaken for them, not only were the TA troop far more professional but they actually looked the part.

Regardless of what happens, there are a great many soldiers in the RSigs TA that are every bit as professional as their regular counterparts and i enjoyed my time with them thoroughly and i like to think i actually learnt just as much from my time with them as i have done in the last 22 years i have served.

And yes i am thinking of sacking the LSL job i am in now and going over to the TA :D
With that attitude, you will be more than welcome :)

msr

msr said:
fivetodo said:
With that attitude, you will be more than welcome :)

msr
If tehre's much left to join. They've spread what's left so thin that it's likely to be unsustainable and will start to wither and die pretty quickly. If numbers had to reduce fair enough, but at least have the balls to cut regiments and then leave something like the regiments you need rather than a scattering of bits of the old regiments scattered to the four winds and try to pretend it's going to be a regiment.

Would love to have seen the estimate they used to come up with these barking plans :(