TA RSigs class one courses

Can anyone help me, I need to find out course dates for the combined Class One Operator (TA) courses in Blandford. I know there is one in June and I am loaded onto that ( or will be shortly ) but work commitments may mean I have to bail. Therefore if anyone has access to the course book and can confirm other course dates this bounty year then I would be grateful.

Not so grateful that I will blow your goat off but still fairly gratefull

Polar 69 - dates not published yet (I have checked today) but will be soon.

More seriously there is now actually a reserve list for this course as more want to do it than there are places so if you ARE loaded on it and think you can't do it, say so ASAP as you may be depriving someone else of a place.

Same goes for anyone else who thinks they may be doubtful - don't leave it till the week before to cry off - it makes the TA Corps look a bit silly...

Polar 69, I think it takes 15 but don't quote me.... (might be less)

scaryspice said:
More seriously there is now actually a reserve list for this course as more want to do it than there are places so if you ARE loaded on it
Wonder why that is?? PR/info from a certain website perhaps

polar said:
scaryspice said:
More seriously there is now actually a reserve list for this course
Wonder why that is?? PR/info from a certain website perhaps
I hate to disappoint you Polar and spoil a good story but I think most of the PR and info for those who are actually on the course did eventually go down the CoC. shocking I know! :D

scaryspice said:
I hate to disappoint you Polar and spoil a good story but I think most of the PR and info for those who are actually on the course did eventually go down the CoC. shocking I know! :D
You sure. I'd emailed SNCO's from 7 Sqn's within the Bde with the info .. oops make that 8

I'm sure the info went down the CoC, yes. I can't be sure how the people who are going on the course got the info, no. Very glad to see the take-up has been so good though however it happened.

Apparently we have plenty of people out there who in theory need the SSgt's course. However the last course was woefully undersubscribed - to the point where it was embarassing to continue to run it. The next one is apparently looking the same at the moment. It's not practical to continue with courses like this that only have 4 or 5 students, so where are you all?

I take the point that there may be some people stuck at Cpl because they have not done a Class 1, although to be honest, every Class 1 course that has run has had spaces on it. Hopefully this problem is solved for operators at least with the new combined course.

However a trawl has been done around the Regts asking how many people out there are at the point where they require the SSgt course for promotion. While accepting that some Sgts are content to stay Sgts and will not do the course, there are still a LOT out there who in theory need this course. Certainly more than the 4 or so we are getting on most courses. So are that many people really content to stay as Sgts? Maybe they are....

When CLM(V) comes in (next year) the course will have to change to a Sgts' course in line with the Regular one. Hopefully this will improve attendance on it since people will have to attend in order to become SNCOs so hopefully it will come at a better time in their TA career?

No I don't know anything about exactly when this will happen, or what the transitional arrangements will be yet, so please don't ask!

scaryspice said:
When CLM(V) comes in (next year) the course will have to change to a Sgts' course in line with the Regular one. Hopefully this will improve attendance on it since people will have to attend in order to become SNCOs so hopefully it will come at a better time in their TA career?
Or don't attend SSgt course this year as it won't be needed next year. The Cpl ->Sgt will become more of a bottleneck.

Sig Recruits course and trade course
LCpl - nothing
Cpl - Detties (CLM) 2 Weeks
Sgt - Class 1 and Sgts (CLM) 2 weeks
SSgt - nothing
WO2 - CLM(v) when introduced

I'd prefer the Class 1 was made a requirement for LCpl.

polar said:
scaryspice said:
LCpl - nothing
SSgt - nothing

No you don't even need to pass the RMC or BPFA, just hang around during the week and help out the OC etc.. Forget about actually going on exercises though, or even leadership abillity. Certainly raises eyebrows, espec when others are forgotten about.

polar said:
LCpl - nothing
SSgt - nothing

Those who are currently Sgts won't get away without attending the SSgts' or Sgts' course if they wish to progress further Polar, so it makes little difference whether they attend the SSgts now or the Sgts when it comes - the standard will be similar, so why not get it out of the way now? Waiting till next year just means they have to do the Sgts' course when it comes.

Class 1 for LCpl? I don't think so. A Class 1 is supposed to be a supervisor and I would suggest that most TA LCpls do not have the supervisory or leadership experience for it. CLM(V) will actually have a requirement for some formal Sig-LCpl training anyway, so that will address that issue.

As for the "bottleneck". If you have a Class 1 that requires formal external course attendance, which is also a pre-requistie for promotion then it's going to cause a bottleneck somewhere isn't it? I suggest that Cpl-Sgt is probably the best place for this, but I'd like to hear any suggestions anyone has as to how this can be avoided while still making promotion something you actually have to make some effort to get.

scaryspice said:

I thought that the regular course was for newly promoted Sgt's not for Cpls looking to get promoted. will the TA version be a requirement for promotion to SNCO??

Dammit, I dont want to do a Sgts course, rather wait another 15 years + and do a staffys course in the hope it is full of old unfit chaps , may have a chance then :p

scaryspice said:
Class 1 for LCpl? I don't think so. A Class 1 is supposed to be a supervisor and I would suggest that most TA LCpls do not have the supervisory or leadership experience for it. CLM(V) will actually have a requirement for some formal Sig-LCpl training anyway, so that will address that issue.
Scary I'm familiar with the Cpl, Sgt & WO CLM but for LCpl? I am only aware of the Educational part of CLM being absent from TA courses, is that what this LCpl CLM is? I read a paper on it last year and know it was being worked on.

Forniup - you are correct - apologies for the confusion.

CLM(V) is not finalised yet, so nothing is set in stone. However there are likely to be four "career stages" at which some form of CLM is delivered to the TA.

1. Potential JNCO - i.e. Pte soldiers before promotion to LCpl
2. JNCO
3. SNCO
4. WO

Some arms and services currently run courses at some of those career stages. Those that do may opt to include some or all of the CLM(V) modules in those courses. Other solutions may include distance learning, weekend training, etc. It will vary from Arm to Arm.

I think my point in the first place was those in TA R Signals who are due to do a TA SSgts' course now - don't wait until it becomes a Sgts' course thinking it will be any easier - as Polar69 points out, none of us are getting any younger. :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
polar Army Reserve 0
johnjohn Army Reserve 21
GSSigs Royal Signals 1