TA RSigs class one courses

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by polar69, May 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone help me, I need to find out course dates for the combined Class One Operator (TA) courses in Blandford. I know there is one in June and I am loaded onto that ( or will be shortly ) but work commitments may mean I have to bail. Therefore if anyone has access to the course book and can confirm other course dates this bounty year then I would be grateful.

Not so grateful that I will blow your goat off but still fairly gratefull

2. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Polar 69 - dates not published yet (I have checked today) but will be soon.

More seriously there is now actually a reserve list for this course as more want to do it than there are places so if you ARE loaded on it and think you can't do it, say so ASAP as you may be depriving someone else of a place.

Same goes for anyone else who thinks they may be doubtful - don't leave it till the week before to cry off - it makes the TA Corps look a bit silly...

3. Thanks Scary, I've let my spsi know I can't do it. Reserve list ? How many can the course hold ?

4. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Polar 69, I think it takes 15 but don't quote me.... (might be less)

5. Hence the rumoured 4 a year I suppose. Will have to wait and hope

6. Wonder why that is?? PR/info from a certain website perhaps

7. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

I hate to disappoint you Polar and spoil a good story but I think most of the PR and info for those who are actually on the course did eventually go down the CoC. shocking I know! :D

8. You sure. I'd emailed SNCO's from 7 Sqn's within the Bde with the info .. oops make that 8

9. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

I'm sure the info went down the CoC, yes. I can't be sure how the people who are going on the course got the info, no. Very glad to see the take-up has been so good though however it happened.

10. Me too, although the SSgt course seems to be undersubscribed. Maybe we have a bottleneck

11. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Apparently we have plenty of people out there who in theory need the SSgt's course. However the last course was woefully undersubscribed - to the point where it was embarassing to continue to run it. The next one is apparently looking the same at the moment. It's not practical to continue with courses like this that only have 4 or 5 students, so where are you all?

12. So these potential SSgts, what rank would they have been in 2003 (plus add on the extra requirements for promotion since e.g. the infrequently running class 1)

13. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

I take the point that there may be some people stuck at Cpl because they have not done a Class 1, although to be honest, every Class 1 course that has run has had spaces on it. Hopefully this problem is solved for operators at least with the new combined course.

However a trawl has been done around the Regts asking how many people out there are at the point where they require the SSgt course for promotion. While accepting that some Sgts are content to stay Sgts and will not do the course, there are still a LOT out there who in theory need this course. Certainly more than the 4 or so we are getting on most courses. So are that many people really content to stay as Sgts? Maybe they are....

When CLM(V) comes in (next year) the course will have to change to a Sgts' course in line with the Regular one. Hopefully this will improve attendance on it since people will have to attend in order to become SNCOs so hopefully it will come at a better time in their TA career?

No I don't know anything about exactly when this will happen, or what the transitional arrangements will be yet, so please don't ask!

14. Or don't attend SSgt course this year as it won't be needed next year. The Cpl ->Sgt will become more of a bottleneck.

Sig Recruits course and trade course
    LCpl - nothing
    Cpl - Detties (CLM) 2 Weeks
    Sgt - Class 1 and Sgts (CLM) 2 weeks
    SSgt - nothing
    WO2 - CLM(v) when introduced

I'd prefer the Class 1 was made a requirement for LCpl.